Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More horsepower

dhoadley

I was making a delivery this past week to a company that makes municipal grade leaf-suckers (Monster Power Equip. Old Saybrook,CT) when I looked over there biggest trailer-mounted machine and saw it was powered by a 35hp B&S. Man, that would put the grunt back in that tired old garden tractor! I had a 1960 VW Bug that was only 30hp. Just thought I would share. Dave

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sea/en/engines/vanguard/vanguard-air-cooled-v-twin-big-block-35-gross-hp

I would love to have one of them in the powermax tractors would really make the snow fly ,I bet they would not fit and I am sure it is not cheap

Just a thought,I know Briggs and Kohlers are worlds apart but do some checking before you commit to one of the big blocks. Kohler replaced one of my 38hp engines and I'm still having issues with the other. So save you some headaches and check before you lay out a bunch of cash for a large engine. Just my $.02

The limiting factor in our units is the bgb and belt interfaces are set up with a certain limit to usable power transfer. It would likely handle it in soft-loading like grass or snow but the shock loads such as hitting a rock or an ice jam could cause some significant stress to the system that would otherwise not be seen.

Those big block V-twins are starting to show up at Garden tractor pulls, and they are beasts with all their cubes.

My experience with pulling tractors is that simplicity set up is good for 40-45hp, but requires all tight keyways with very little backlash and the differential springs double washered or removed and the spacers put in. The weak link is then the axle tube.