Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's the Difference?

CarlH

Between the Sovereign PS and non-PS steering arm besides one is NLA, undoubtedly more $$, one has a hole, one has a stud, and there aren't 10 or 15 of one of them in my parts pile? Distance of hole/stud from vertical shaft? Angle of arm from keyways? Anything else??

Looks like the shorter leverage is going to be the primary difference since the power would make up for it and take advantage of the higher speed/different throw.

The difference is the stud is moved 1/2" closer to the spindle so that the heim joint will not hit the frame when turning. That is what I had to do on the ones that I copied. You can also use a shoulder bolt through the heim joint and a nut at the bottom.

Thanks for the photos Bill. They answer my questions well. I would guess another reason for moving the stud inward might be to provide more clearance for the cylinder from the tractor frame.