Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

headlights

Terry_Hart

I would like to upgrade the headlights on my Sovereign. Does anyone know how much the stator output is on a Kohler command 18? I was hoping it would support some LED lights.

If you install the 25 amp regulator, the 15 amp system's output is raised to 20 amps. Changing to the 25 amp stator and using the 25 amp regulator will up the output to 25 amps.

Don't LED's draw less than standard bulbs?

If that is the case and you are upgrading, there was enough for the old, should be plenty for the new ???

Thanks, I should be ok then. They only draw a couple amps each. I have one on the rear, nice and bright. The stock lights are awful.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Don't LED's draw less than standard bulbs? If that is the case and you are upgrading, there was enough for the old, should be plenty for the new ???

id="quote">
id="quote">yes, this...Unless you get some ridiculous light bar for the front end, a couple of LED lights shouldn't be a problem.

Terry, what model Sovereign do you have and what lights did you purchase? Curious as I might change mine to led......haven't run it in the dark yet. Thx!

I put LED light bulbs in my 710, which has the dual charging coils behind the flywheel (3A non regulated charging, and 70Watt lighting coil). So the lighting circuit is not connected to the battery, only lights when the engine is running.

Can you guess what happens with LED bulbs?

Because LED are instantaneous they flicker on and off at the speed of the engine rpm. At full rpm not to bad, at idle it is like a strobe light going on and off.

You could use them as an optical rpm meter.

Regular element bulbs are seeing the same pulsing voltage, but because they have a glowing element you cannot see the light flicker as it takes a second for the element to cool off and loss its light.

If its anything like the LED's on my B-12 light circuit, they go out at low rpm (will be changing to run off of battery). I have seen the LED's fail from heat under the hood on 919, if that helps.

I'm gonna guess they go out as well. LEDs don't dim like incandescent. once the voltage drops to a certain point, LED's will no longer light.

I have a similar set but with Cree 18W LED's in them. VERY bright. I'm looking to mount a set on my snow cab when I get it back on the tractor.

That's a good price ($7 less than a pair of offroad 55W halogens at Walmart($29.95). The halogens draw just shy of 10 Amps. As a guideline your load should be about 85% of the source power.

watch those cases on the LEDs they are heat sinks,and DO GET HOT!666