Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weedcutter Role Call!!

bowhunt4life

So I am trying to get an accurate headcount of how many Weedcutters are out there.

I posted on the Simplicity/Allis Facebook page and we came up with 28 confirmed weedcutters in that group.

If you are not a member of that group and have a weedcutter could you post your roll call? Let us know if you have one and the state of residence of your weedcutter.

Again we are at 28 confirmed on the Simplicity/Allis Facebook page and I'd like to add any to the list from members here.

Thanks,

Chris

I have one. I am in MI. I have had it about 13 years. I need a hitch for it. It didn't have one with it, but the machine is in above average condition. I have a blower hitch I could modify, but need to have some good pics or some drawings to compare the two - I know they are similar and other people have modified them to work.

Add 1 for SE PA.

PS - the hitdh is basically the same as the blower hitch (2 pulley (single belt), except the "axle" shafts for the idlers are at an angle to the hitch base, since the main drive pulley of the cutter is off center. (I'll send you a pic Tim).

Chris, if he has not reported in yet, I know this member contacted me about replacement blade sources...

User Name: FlashandFlare

1-MI

I know of at least a half dozen here semi-locally. A couple may check in, most peobably wont. I think Ive owned 9, most, simpy to buy, bring home and hand off to someone on the list I keep.

Up to 36.

Ken yes I included you in Jason in my earlier count.

Simplicity7013H I am just trying to satisfy my own curiousity. I have 3 and have owned 2 others and the scarcity of them intriques me and others. With such a short production run there can't be too many of them out there.

quote:Originally posted by tadams

And this is something that an old dealer told me when he talked to Simplicity about them they denied ever making them.Tom :(!

id="quote">
id="quote">That's simply not true. Old dealers are notoriously wrong about plenty..especially when they are 'remembering'. I doubt anyone from Simplicity would deny making them, when they were well publicized in their catalogs, service/repair manuals and other literature. And why should they? If anything, I bet they made a stink of having to let the design go due to the Nader-ism of the late '60's. It's a very useful and efficient attachment, with obvious risk that is easily mitigated by a clear minded operator.

Actually, Simplicity did try to deny making them. (it's true that some dealers have some fuzzy memories....) I had an opportunity back in the mid to late 1990's to bring up the fact that there was a manufacturer number in print on some Broadmoor parts manuals for one to fit a 717 Broadmoor. At first, the Simplicity factory service guy acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. He was in the Simplicity/Allis service department starting in the 1960's up through the 1990's. Granted, this question was coming from a guy in his 20's, so what did I know? After explaining to him that I knew a few things about the vintage tractors, he opened up a bit. There was one built as a prototype for the Broadmoor chassis, but it was destroyed by the factory. Its development came along as the ones for the FDTs were being dropped. The conversation didn't last long, and didn't have the answers I hoped for. I gathered that it was a legal issue with them, and that it was encouraged to not acknowledge the machines existed. Just not sure if it was a pre-emptive shut down of the machine, or if there was actually a situation where someone was hurt and that caused the machine to be dropped. He didn't really say. Since the production was so low, there were not tons of spare parts around ever. That helped to keep the number of machines running down to a minimum, which as far as I could tell is what Simplicity wanted. I always found it interesting that there was not a yellow Allis Chalmers version of this implement. Maybe the Allis lawyers were more conservative??? I will do another shameless plug here - I need a good, proper hitch for mine - I got mine without any hitch. It was way too nice to not get it even though it was incomplete. Anyone got a parts machine or one that is too far gone to use or restore?

100_2399-2.jpg

100_2399-2.jpg.ac1db9af04f8153fde145fd55eb0f7c9.jpg