Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hard cab poisoning?

fishnwiz

Just curious...I always wondered about carbon monoxide issues with some of the hard cabs that are tractor mounted almost on top of a running gas engine. Are these cabs not that air tight that this is never an issue or could this be a real life issue with some of these cabs?

Seems like they would have thought about that and if there was carbon monoxide issues they wouldn't have been sold in the first place. IMO

I think it's mostly a not-so-airtight seal. The other thing that can help is in our engine configurations the intake is from the operator/dash end and flows out the grill/nose. That helps to pump some of the fumes out of the cab space.

CO is considered heavier than air, and will fall to the ground. If you are still leery of the potential danger, Install a stack exhaust.

Never had an issue with mine. Not very airtight to begin with, and the exhaust is routed out the side and way in front of the cab (7100 series)

I am not buying one myself but was told by a guy I know who owned one that he used to get headaches when he used his hard cab for more then 1/2hr or so when blow in snow..

I was just curious if these were ever an issue.

Thanks for the input.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

almost on top of a running gas engine.

id="quote">
id="quote">I can only speak to the hard cab for my Legacy, but it really doesn't sit "on top" of the engine. The base/seal of it sits over the very back of the hood, over the back of the battery compartment. The back side of the engine probably sits a foot or so out in front of it. And, keep in mind, that the exhaust is blown out the front of the motor, and off to the side. I don't think you'd get any more exhaust fumes in the cab than you'd get blown back in your face from wind while out mowing without a cab; probably even less. Now, that being said, that's just my thoughts from using the cab for the first time last winter. It never occurred to me to put a tester in the cab to see. Maybe I'll do that this winter if I remember, just to see.

Unless that thing is sealed up tight and the exhaust is somehow being pushed/sucked into the cab, I'd have a tough time imagining any issues with that. As far as headaches, I can't say that it wasn't from CO but it could also just have been from exhaust/noise/etc in general in the cab. I get headaches from being around kerosene torpedo heaters even if it is sitting outside. Most likely not CO and just me being sensitive to the exhaust.

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

I think it's mostly a not-so-airtight seal. The other thing that can help is in our engine configurations the intake is from the operator/dash end and flows out the grill/nose. That helps to pump some of the fumes out of the cab space.

id="quote">
id="quote">Neighbor had a Case/Ingersol 446 (the engine sits backwards compared to Sim and most others) that he bragged about keeping him warm, while blowing snow, but it also melted all the snow on the dash and your lap . Years later he found a cab (don't think it was a Case cab, but not bad looking) and only used it a couple of times and took it off. He never said but I suspect that it might have been the exhaust as his K341 ran pretty smokey.