Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Conundrum

rokon2813

While considering what to do with Jimdk's custom hydro, I got to thinking about my attachments and will they operate on that tractor.

Any how;

Sickle bars are supposed to be run at lower RPM to keep them from beating themselves apart,

And hydro transmissions should be run at high RPM for proper performance and cooling,

So, how do you run a sickle (or tiller) on a hydro tractor ????? sm00

Change one or more of the pulleys to a different size to account for the difference in rpms?

Been a while since I sold my sickle, so my memory's a bit foggy as to the pulley setup, but it can prolly be done.

I don't think you'll have any heat worrys at all. All the power needed for sickle comes the BGB and the little bit of power to needed to travel won't cause hydro to heat that great.

Put many hours on a sickle mower with a HB212. Ran the engine at half throttle, worked the hydro speed to get the optimum cut...never any problems.

Hydrostatic system controls the amount of fluid pumped to the drive. Much different than a hydraulic system which has a constant pump flow and you control the amount of fluid (by bypassing) to the work, by passing on the pressure relief valve is what causes all the heat.

The hydrostatic system generates heat by load and not speed. And a very small amount of bypass from the charge pump.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

I don't think you'll have at all. All the power needed for sickle comes the BGB and the little bit of power to needed to travel won't cause hydro to heat that great.

id="quote">
id="quote">I agree...never any special instructions from Mother Simplicity on sickle use with either type hydro, or either type sickle on a hydro.

The Vari drive seems a little more ergonomic with the sickle but the HB works just fine at mid throttle. It does have the advantages of creeping and back-forthing better. Snow plowing was a lot harder on the HB than anything else.