Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower chute motor

Terry_Hart

Does anyone know a source for a replacement motor to rotate the chute? It looks like a GM power window motor, has Delco on it? I see it listed as no longer available. It attaches to the shaft with a collar and roll pin.

Thanks

I have used a GM window motor before and made my own bracket, using socket on the shaft to the sproket on the motor. This blower seems like it was factory parts. It has a nice bracket close to the chute with a bushing and collar connection to the shaft. I am hoping use the same connection method.

Cant remember what years or models exactly but I think I found mine looking for mid 70's GM car window motors on Ebay.

Don't throw your old one out as the gear insert in the car versions is not the same and you will need yours to make it a quick installation.

Heres a pair on Ebay now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1976-CHEVROLET-CADILLAC-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-POWER-WINDOW-MOTORS-OEM-/221928613276?fits=Year%3A1975%7CMake%3AOldsmobile%7CModel%3ACutlass&hash=item33abf9e59c:g:j0AAAOSwYHxWNW2V&vxp=mtr

Shop around on Ebay for a while....I bought 4 motors for a total price with shipping of around $30 when I got mine.

I have used a GM window motor before and made my own bracket, using socket on the shaft to the sproket on the motor. This blower seems like it was factory parts. It has a nice bracket close to the chute with a bushing and collar connection to the shaft. I am hoping use the same connection method.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

Sam will this work on a 620/720 blower too?

id="quote">
id="quote">Been many years since I owned a 720 blower, but I think the window motors are the same for those as on the 36 and 42's. You would have to compare your old one to pictures of ones being sold on Ebay.

quote:Originally posted by Terry_Hart

id="quote">
id="quote">That's how I make mine. If you have an original, you can just pull the gear part straight out of the unit and put it in the new motor assembly. Pretty sure theres nothing that holds them in.

Thanks,

I was able to remove the collar by loosening 2 set screws. Now I just have gear, forgot to count the teeth before coming in to see search the web. There are lots out there mostly with 9 teeth.

I made mine with a 2001 pontiac grand prix window motor and a star wrench socket. It was rather vindicating to find out afterward that the factory kit was almost identical yet a ton more expensive. :D If only a power tilt motor was as straight forward.

quote:Originally posted by dentwizz

I made mine with a 2001 pontiac grand prix window motor and a star wrench socket. It was rather vindicating to find out afterward that the factory kit was almost identical yet a ton more expensive. :D If only a power tilt motor was as straight forward.

id="quote">
id="quote">Keeps me from getting of tractor. More of a time saver then spout control.:Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHS7LejJqz4

I wish I could do something like that but all of my chutes are round...haven't figured that out yet.

I just used any GM power window motor I could when I made mine. As others have said, sockets, extensions, and socket wrench u-joints make fitting things up very easy if you have to hack it up a little bit. Tack welds hold everything together if you don't trust the little ball retainer that's in there.

Thanks,

I was able to remove the collar by loosening 2 set screws. Now I just have gear, forgot to count the teeth before coming in to see search the web. There are lots out there mostly with 9 teeth.

I have a seat motor with the threaded shaft that is off a Honda Accord. Has a LONG throw, so you could cut it off the length you want. Tried to get a picture, but the battery died on my phone. Will post when it charges.

I just checked the stroke that I could get off of mine which is the same as Bigten65's, not quite 2". I made three of the upper flat bar before I got to something acceptable.

I had an inquiry as to part #s for the Honda motors. I only have the number for the short (1 1/2") stroke. Those adjust the tilt of the seats. The long one is for the forward-backward adjustment.A Honda Dealer can use the short-stroke # to find the application, then look up the long-stroke motor from that.

IMG_20151107_102453332_HDR.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
removed extra pic