Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil viscosity for winter

ss74nova

Oil viscosity for winter

What would be the best oil to run in the winter in a Landlord 101 10HP Briggs? I also use the tractor in May for tilling.

The manual says 10w30 from 0 degrees on up & 5w30 for 20 degrees & lower.

The new Briggs today say you can run synthetic 5w30 all year round from the coldest to the warmest temps.

Would I be able to run synthetic 5w30 year round in this old tractor?

In my other mowers I run HD30 oil in the summer.

Thanks

Syn wasn't as available when the manuals were written for our machines. If your seals are up to par(which they could be old after all) you should be able to run syn with no problem.

I switch out to synthetic 5W-30 after leaf pickup is done in preparation for snowblowing. I find that the engine cranks and starts much easier without any smoking. As others have said, synthetic wasn't around when those engines came out. If it smokes or weeps at the seals, go to something a little thicker.

If the motor is pressurized and has a filter the use of a multi weight oil is OK. If the motor just "slings" oil, a straight weight oil should only be used.

The pressurized oil system aids in the changing of the oils viscosity.

Was told this by an Engineer at a small engine OEM.

16hp 326437 slings oil. My manual and decal on air cleaner states in the summer you can use SAE 30, 10w30, and 10w40. In the winter you can use 5w30 and 10w40.

plot_main-_Converted___21186.1269536239.220.220.jpg

plot_main-_Converted___21186.1269536239_220_220.jpg.31d2376712101ccd8903a614ee11554a.jpg