Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steering arm ball joints NLA?

Dave-Saratoga

Dave-Saratoga

When I did my last rebuild of ne of my b-series tractors I bought replacement ball joints (154301) from Jacks Small engine. One just snapped along with the steering arm.. I went to Jacks website and the ball joint is NLA, they do carry the steering arm. Does anyone know of any replacement parts available for the ball joints?

The suggested replacement part #1686929SM is available as a Snapper part; but expensive at Jack's

And the newer tractor ball joint part #164272 is still available but probably a difference size since it doesn't supersede to the 1686929SM part #.

I convert mine to Heim joints with a through bolt to attach to the control arms. They last longer and have less play for the same cost.

Dave-Saratoga

I bought replacements through McMaster Carr. They were under $6.00 apiece - well cheaper than OEM or Snapper parts. I will keep you posted as to how they compare to the originals after they arrive

quote:I convert mine to Heim joints with a through bolt to attach to the control arms. They last longer and have less play for the same cost.id="quote">
id="quote">

Have a part number?

Actually it was so long ago I don't remember what the threading was. Dave, What was the shank thread(to the drag link)? The pivot hole of the heim joint is a little less critical since it is a through bolt. Pretty soon my HB will need those fitted since it still has the stock ones.

• Like 1