Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas tank for landlord 101

KerryD

First of all welcome.Second these tanks are hard to find Third I have a nice one for sale but not as cheap as most would like but there hard to get in nice shape...

• 2 years later...

I have found the cause of why Landlord 101 tanks leak on the bottom Directly below the fuel cap! There is a bunch of welding slag left from the manufacturing of the tractor there on the perch itself. That will grind holes into the tank over time and cause rust to form. I took a Dremel and ground them all down, and I'm in the process of painting it now. I went through 2 patched tanks until I discovered the manufacturing flaw. I have attached some pics with the welding slag circled in read. You can also see the latest tank that I restored using Cream to seal all of the pinholes in the tank. Then I painted it with Massey Ferguson red from Tractors supply. I think I will restore the other tank when I get the chance.

IMG_0553.JPG

slag2.GIF

slag.GIF

Edited by Bradford Fyfe
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 8:42 AM, Hudco said:

line the inside with red -kote

I have used POR-15 on the INSIDE of the tanks on a Simplicity 707 and a Farmall Cub.

Edited by wwbragg
clarify

Welcome Kerry, you'll find this place priceless in working on your Landlord! Just a FYI when I have removed the tank on my Landlords, I have cut a piece from an old mouse pad to sit under it. That should prevent any rubbing on the bottom.

• Like 1

I use thin rubber cut from sheets that are available at any hardware store. Put it under the straps too! This rubber lasts longer than foam rubber like a mouse pad. NO MICE!  I try not use use poisons unless I have to, but there seems to be no other effective way to stop mice from building nests in your engine. 

Edited by TomSchmit