Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Carb was loose and has oil in it

rich_kildow

7116 w/ the original Briggs cast iron single 16hp. It has been burning a little oil lately and I noticed a funny puffing noise when at lower RPM's, so I started poking around and found that the carb/intake elbow was loose at the block. I removed the air filter and found oil in the carb, as well as oil leaking around the breather tube.

The loose carb would explain the puffing but where should I be headed to track down an oil leak like this? Breather? Head gasket? My 7122 is completely up and running at this point so if this engine is due for a rebuild, that would be fine.

Simplicity7013H

A guy told me that oil coming from the breather was sign of bad rings and pressure in the case. Had an old Briggs with a dipstick and it had so much pressure in the case the dip stick wouldn't stay in it would want to shoot out.

PhanDad

They have a breather, it sits horizontally behind the carb; it has a rubber tube leading from it into the back side of the carb below the air filter. It's part #459738.

From what others have said, a broken breather can lead to oil in the carb. Seems prevalent on older KT's.