Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

32" mower deck question simplicity 700

jabelman

Not much new on my 700 project. the engine is done some tractor parts are painted but the bulk of the restoration will be next spring.

over the the winter I am going to rebuild the deck. as with the whole project everything was mostly apart when I got it. do we have a manual for the deck? I don't see any grease fittings either. I do see oil fillers? any thoughts or comments on these drcks?

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Parts diagram for the 32" deck...http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/simplicity/1160/14499

id="quote">
id="quote">The diagram shows a hole in the spindle housing, with a "pine plug", that hole either is threaded or can be for a grease zerk. Bear in mind, factory bearings are sealed, so the grease does not actually get to the bearing, it is mainly to take up space and displace water between the bearings.If you replace bearings, consider getting bearings with plastic or rubber shields, rather than steel. You can carefully remove the inner shields so the bearing does get the grease.It will take a good bit of grease to fill the spindle housings the first time.

My 32" Rotary Mower for Model 700 Riding Tractor manual states, remove the plug, fill with 1 ounce of oil (I fill with oil), replace plug, turn mower upside down to lubricate top bearing & oil the idler pulley bearing & grease the drive bracket on PTO.

In addition to what Dan posted above, you can use the mfg# listed on this page for 32" mower decks (5 mfg# are listed):

http://www.simpletractors.com/what_fits/rotary_lawn_mowers.htm

On the manual site:

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals

to find parts diagrams for your deck. Also note, that in many of the older manuals, the parts info is listed in the back of the manual.

thank you everyone. after cleaning it all up today it's in decent shape spindles are in great shape. only issue is the idler pulley is seized up will try soaking if not I will match one up.

You should replace that idler pulley, even if you can get the old one to spin.

It is a common pulley, small cost, and a critical part!

Just my free advice, value accordingly!

Tom