Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with a Sno Bee snowblower

Freewheelin

First time on this site so hope it's OK that what I need info on is an Allis Chalmers walk behind and not a garden tractor snowblower. It's a 1962 Sno Bee that I restored about 10 years ago. Show machine only. Problem is that the drive wheels no longer turn. The drive train up to the axle turns just fine. Pulled the axle and found there is no keyway nor spline. Must be a friction drive of some sort. If anyone has any knowledge of these machines or knows someone who does I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Those pins holds the wheels to the axle. They're fine. The drawing (page 20) shows an axle and gear assembly (item G)and a gear & tube assembly (item CP). Item CM on the bottom drawing is item AR on the top. Apparently they made two different axle and gear assemblies for the 6 HP version. Note that the top drawing shows it's for 4 HP & 6 HP while the lower shows it's for 6 HP only. Top one has the gear directly attached to the axle, the other has the axle slide inside the gear housing. I'm thinking I have the bottom version since I could pull the axle by simply removing the wheels, end cover, and the snap ring. The entire drive unit turns on my machine but doesn't engage the axle. The axle had no pin or spline and the drawing doesn't show any key or pin either. It looks like there is a slot on the gear & tube assembly (CP). There are two keys (item BN) that I assume connect the gear & tube assembly to the spider (item BP). That makes sense since everything out to items BI/BK turn just fine. What I don't understand is how it connects with the axle. Any clue?