Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LL 101 Front wheel weights

ss74nova

LL 101 Front wheel weights

Anybody have pics of what the front wheel weights on a LL 101 FDT look like & how do they attach to a 8" rim. Thanks.

This is what the weight looks like. Even for the Broadmoors, not all the rear wheels were drilled. I have seen a service bulletin with the bolt pattern to drill out the early wheels that had no holes.

102_0985-2.jpg

102_0983-2.jpg

102_0985-2.jpg.f136421284653a9027bdc5be49d4da96.jpg

102_0983-2.jpg.34761e34adb1a179f0264269dbe6761a.jpg

I snagged a set of cylindrical ones for a Deere at a flea market. They stick out about 5" with a square edge but they are heavy and it helps a ton on handling in hills. TBH I think most Deeres need them:p Mine are on the HB116 and it keeps all four wieghts all year. Heavy yes, but stable.

Thanks guys. Ever seen front wheel weights that are flat on the outside & have some sort of a clamp on the inside like in thedaddycat's post second pic down left side ?

http://www.simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21733&SearchTerms=front,wheel,weights

I saw some for sale & was wondering if they are origonal or not ? I think they weigh less than the mushroom ones . 20 lbs vs 35 lbs.

I think I'll hold out for the 35 lb mushroom ones. I don't think my rims have the holes drilled, but that no problem.

There are variations around. Not sure if they were Simplicity or generic or something else.I also had a set that was flat, no clamp on the inside and without the 3 little bolts too.

odd weight.jpg

57e0620c48953_oddweight.jpg.df730a0db965c8b92e2d069f3ba98788.jpg

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of putting a set on the front of my LL 101 for the snowblower. I have an uneven area where I snow blow & the front end wants to slide sideways sometimes. I have a set of rear chains, rear wheel weights & the stinger with 2 donuts on already.

Some people use a length of chain on the front wheels. The type of chain where the links are partially twisted so that lay flat rather than alternating direction. The length is set so that it can slip up over the tire while it is not inflated and held tightly in place once the tire is aired up.

I have not yet tried this, it seems it might cause some scratching of the driveway surface depending on what it is made of but it is said to work well for steering.

quote:Originally posted by ss74nova

... & the stinger with 2 donuts on already.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ditching the stinger and doughnuts will help return your front wheels to the ground as well. Are you arm-strong'in it, or using hydrolift? I like running a stinger regardless, to lighten the pressure of the blower or blade, but it will sacrifice steering control. Any weight behind the rear axle will.I like the 8" weights with AG's properly mounted for a 2 wheel drive machine.

quote:Originally posted by theniteowl

Some people use a length of chain on the front wheels. The type of chain where the links are partially twisted so that lay flat rather than alternating direction. The length is set so that it can slip up over the tire while it is not inflated and held tightly in place once the tire is aired up.I have not yet tried this, it seems it might cause some scratching of the driveway surface depending on what it is made of but it is said to work well for steering.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks. I might try chains in the future.

Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
quote:
id="quote">Arm strong. I'd like to keep the stinger & donuts. They seem to help with more traction where I snow blow up a hill than without them.Since I started this topic 2 8" mushroom weights showed up on ebay. One for $235 & one for $175. Seems high. What are the normal going prices for them. Thanks.

A guy around here was selling a set of front weights for $150. I thought that was overpriced.

I got lucky and found an HB-112 in good running condition with front and rear cast iron weights, chains in the back and a spring trip plow for $100. I will take a pic of the weights, I think they varied slightly from both types above.

Here is a pic of the front and rear weights on my HB-112.

B112_Front_Weight.jpg

B112_Rear_Weight.jpg

I do not know if these are original Allis/Simplicity or from some other source.

B112_Front_Weight.jpg.ad40dc693dc9773d1638d240318da12e.jpg

B112_Rear_Weight.jpg.b18d4dafd2384e3b654a2069315edd6a.jpg

quote:Originally posted by theniteowl

A guy around here was selling a set of front weights for $150. I thought that was overpriced.I got lucky and found an HB-112 in good running condition with front and rear cast iron weights, chains in the back and a spring trip plow for $100. I will take a pic of the weights, I think they varied slightly from both types above.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes $150 still sounds way too high for me too.