Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4218H Snowblower?

1978Simplicity7016H

A couple of months back I did this engine swap in my 4212. It's original motor needed rebuilt, and I had a MTD tractor with a 18 opposed twin Briggs. The motor fit in perfectly but I had to cut the cross-bar on the front of the frame to get the muffler to fit. I have a snowblower for this and also have a lift lever. I have never operated one of these with a snowblower so, I know it has the power, but would I have problems getting traction? Also should I be worried about the engine being uncovered behind a snowblower? (It will be stored inside)

Click the picture to enlarge.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO_mAS1R1TYnMdxebae7YbhYw54eXrg7A0fwdPx8FtfOE_nSmmynwRVCKzzyHVoOQ?key=amxMd0xtSWRRVWVaSU95MDNORV9XMW5kdlVkWnJ3

• Like 1

Is the driveway level?

If so no problem

And with chains should be no problem either way

I put an old rug over the hood

To keep motor dry and warm

For the most part, yes my driveway is flat and is gravel. I need to go down and up hill to clear the lower driveway which is concrete, but I can get that with the 7016H snowblower.

If you look at the picture, you will see that it has no hood, since the 18 is larger and wider. I didn't want to cut up the hood since it was in good shape. I might try to secure the grill on, but the muffler touches the bottom, which melts it.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN4bhJCaaBrSK3O5lUOH24FOhV6AhIm1kjmGGp_p7RIPGI52QV8wMlkuV52R3mi9Q?key=YVBmRnlkd1B4ZXA0ODRqTDhJRHVTemd2QU9KUFpn

This is more of something fun to drive, so I'm not expecting it to use it every day. It does TERRIBLE on gas.wah

Cut a piece of sheet metal like a coffee can and lay (space)it up about one inch above the muffler shield. Air around it will help things stay cool a bit.;) Forget about style , the missing hood and grille precedes this.:D

Dan,

As an owner of two 4212Gs, i can state that with chains and 54# of wheel weight, there's little to do to overcome the poor weight distribution of this 400+ lbs product.

last winter, with the 46" blade on (85#), those turf tires on the front would not maintain traction (on level ice). Maybe with chains on the front (who knows)?

I do not know about the hydro tranny, but the standard gear 5 speed transaxle has a built in squirrel-cage differential, that favors the LH rear wheel, and is not lockable. This was designed that way to enhance the turn radius when cutting grass. After all it was produced as a cost reduced Lawn Tractor to compete with the box store products of the 1980s. "tin on wheels".

It's a neat little ride, and a reasonable utility machine, great maneuverable riding mower.

I would love to see the GIANTid="size4"> shoehorn you used to get that 18HP in!

Nice JOB!dOd

I would cut up the hood. They sold a bunch of them and they're not desirable AT ALL from a collector point of view. You could always find another hood cheap. I have a 4108 and its a fine little machine for what it is. It does have a straight 3 speed trans which I like much better than the 5 speeds. I'd love to see pics of the blower mounted. Thanx, Dave

In the means of stress on the transmission, I'm not too worried. I have looked through the parts manual and it looks like they built them like a tank. Also, it can take all the power you can give it. Even when I gave it a test workout, under almost full load trying to pull a boat with trailer that the wheels were sunk into the ground.... it didn't slip or stress at all. It preformed like a manual. It put all the power to the wheels, but not completely to the ground. This weekend I plan to get the lift lever off of my other 4212 and get the snowblower on the 18.The only thing stopping me is the engine pulley is still on its single-cylinder.8C. I'm going to try tonight, I bought a bigger gear puller.}:)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNLajIvdkFXWNInr3eOY3AYIVEJtl_ZwhCJrcOXeCpBeTrQocP8YiKuari2U9iF6A/photo/AF1QipMYimLBHD7TwGq44n10zdpoDNN812Ozbo9_fM1J?key=ZjNGd3JUbXQzUlNYeTRTeXJHTThtQTB0MjBlNGFR

Here is how I got the grill on the front, but it still barely cleared the muffler. The hood can fit by bending the sides out a little, but kind of looks goofy and is not secure. Since these pictures I found a better seat. Well, I guess all I can do is try the weights and chains and see. There is no snow yet though....sm02

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMfQaqJ7TJn_QybZn3UYHEelXSApSM7rxa_jwsCc9NlO_O4cfX_6IgMEoE4QSSWBA/photo/AF1QipMMzSMt4VnyvS1vkb2q49T85m1uRE4pWWzTHsLN?key=YmkyNTB3TVU1Y2xPNkRzV0JFWjNsVGpZY1V4Wl9B

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNTMtVkgLEbmFw4xHnRNe6hH5ejFDP2Rq4Lbi1AuTRGtd7XfxP-vi2JBhNNz-Xm6Q?key=V3NJRkVKS091bURsTzVKZGZBQk85emRLeldESGZB

Wayne: I know it is a Lawn Tractor and will not do as well for snow removal as a 7016. Do you think the snowblower's weight on the front tires will be enough to steer? I think if that's enough, good. You won't be steering that much with the snowblower on the ground.

Dan.Never weighed the snow thrower, and Simplicity Mfg. is remiss in adding weights to the specification sheets. perhaps when I test my old 36" blower on the '69 2110 (12) I can see how much it weighs.In swapping engines between the '90 and '88 4212s, i had a senior momentand wound up with a "senior Oops". the dual pulley assembly (drive/PTO) is a fragile piece to remove. The pulleys are 'fused to the tube assembly, which has an indent pressed into it in place of a key...This is right after the Ooops moment...

oops.jpg

(broke the bond/weld, squashed the PTO pulley)wahThis is a used pulley ($37) at Nemes (sponsor)

1674163Pulley.JPG

This a shot of the pressed substitute for a key, few members had issues in the past, where the "key" got smeared, after hitting either roots or short stumps with their mower

Old_key.jpg

Found a couple u-bolt-brackets from TV antennas in the spare Parts (junk) box! Placed them right over the area where the washer is welded inside the tbbe. My oversize bearing separator from HFT, will allow me to span the PTO pulley, and using an old 5/16 head bolt push on the drive shaft end through the 7/16 hole in the washer, without distorting the pulley,or tube. This is coming off the '88 12HP engine.

Pullit.jpg

to mount a blower, you'll need one of these ladder hitches (1690556)

1690556.jpg

These might be of help in mounting the blowerPartshttp://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8apHYrE6Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdfOwnershttp://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8auM4rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdfYes, the 4212 can do work (Pulled down my driveway)

DragPile.jpg

Best of luck with the projects!dOdWayne

oops.jpg.dd2e2f88bf9b5f4e405a5e71e2484fea.jpg

1674163Pulley.JPG.33ffe52918758ecdc130ab66c7825611.JPG

Old_key.jpg.282e7a0937aa72c186d7109638713bae.jpg

Pullit.jpg.7abf8d0cace37f5f15b8cf13c1efb709.jpg

1690556.jpg.78382a606604b0aca737b50f263cc8a6.jpg

DragPile.jpg.974982aa2d96645f152d3bbce97c58d4.jpg

Well the tables have turned. Friday night I tried to get the stack pulley off of the 4218's original motor, but had no luck. So I thought I would try the snowblower on my 4215 (15hp Kohler re power) but had no luck getting a muffler on that didn't stick down that far, but none (except for straight pipe) would clear the blower. So I had one last option, my 5212. So I put the 4215's lift lever on the 5212, then put the blower on it. Everything works great, and I even have tire chains that will work. It is a 12hp single, but it is a strong runner, so I'm not too worried about power.

Here's the deal about all of my "re powered" 4212s.

The 4218s motor needed rebuilt and leaked oil, so I thought it would be fun to put the twin in it. This was before I acquired the 4215.

The 4215 has a different story. The original owner bought it with plow. He blew the motor and traded it in. My dad (owner of the dealer) took it, re powered it and gave it to the town park to pull the trash trailer. Early this year hands changed for the park and now they hire a crew to maintain the place. So the new owner called my dad and wanted to know where the piece of :|| came from (it had no hood). They gave it back to us and now I have it. My dad knew the kids that the park would hire would crack the grill to pieces and he couldn't get a muffler to work, so he took it off. But, yesterday I did get the hood on! But the muffler is loose (it came off once or twice while driving)

The original owner gave the blade to a friend, so sadly it didn't come with the tractorwah. I put a grass catcher on the 15, so that wasn't on when the park had it.

Here is all of the pictures for this “story”

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPtqYC-Rov42uooXX-3KHeEqg-OWqkYvkdt23YZ-ygPRuu2NNm_cVjL390qUnrFKA/photo/AF1QipM4cRm_5zEOherNeHX3f4TCcEwX669LOBlkaLaj?key=SVp3SnFKMzZ2Y2drME5Yam5SLUFhbC14T1RWVlRB