Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Last nights buy

NCTyphoonKid

Picked this little Broadmoor up last night has a 18hp briggs, 48" deck seems to be pretty solid. I think the solenoid has gone bad have to jump it with a screwdriver also think the starter is on it way out anyone have ideas on replacement?

Nice find. The Briggs twin starters are pretty plentiful on ebay from aftermarket sources. If you're having to jump the solenoid you could also have a safety interlock or a switch not working.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Nice find. The Briggs twin starters are pretty plentiful on ebay from aftermarket sources. If you're having to jump the solenoid you could also have a safety interlock or a switch not working.

id="quote">
id="quote">I didn't think about a safety switch will have to look into that and I bought a starter a little while ago for 36 bucks the one on this finally gave out the gear on the starter was done.

quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H

Aren't the gears replaceable?

id="quote">
id="quote">If the gear is like the one on my 4212, NO the gear is cast metal but the cage around it is thin plastic.

Originally posted by GrincheyOne
quote:
id="quote">I guess my 4211 is different. I replaced the gear a few weeks ago.

The starter I bought came with a replacement gear so I guess when it strips it can get replaced. Seems like a weak link in it

Got the new starter in today for it and just got it installed and all the engine sheet metal buttoned back up haven't tried to run it yet since its raining outside and didn't feel like opening the garage door8D

Cleared out room in my building so the 3415H and this one could both be in there so I finally got to test the starter out and it works great and the mower runs super smooth 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I do think it needs a fuel filter or carb cleaned it kind of stumbles and hesitates like its running out of gas. Also where is the best place to get a drive belt for it? It has a aftermarket that I've tried adjusting but its still not right think I've read simplicity belts are the best choice but there aren't any simplicity dealers around me that I'm aware of

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard lots of guys complain about the gears on the starters being plastic. I think that Briggs believes it is easier to replace the starter gear than the ring gear on the flywheel, and I agree. If both were hardened steel and the ring gear was the one that chipped or broke, the cost would be alot more. At least that is my understanding of it.

Steve

quote:Originally posted by steve-wis

I have heard lots of guys complain about the gears on the starters being plastic. I think that Briggs believes it is easier to replace the starter gear than the ring gear on the flywheel, and I agree. If both were hardened steel and the ring gear was the one that chipped or broke, the cost would be alot more. At least that is my understanding of it.Steve

id="quote">
id="quote">DITTO

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Simplicity7013H
Originally posted by steve-wis

I have heard lots of guys complain about the gears on the starters being plastic. I think that Briggs believes it is easier to replace the starter gear than the ring gear on the flywheel, and I agree. If both were hardened steel and the ring gear was the one that chipped or broke, the cost would be alot more. At least that is my understanding of it.Steve

id="quote">id="quote">Yeah, if having solenoid issues, i is quite easy to tear up a starter gear, also care needs to be sure the tooth count of the starter is comptible to the ring gear!FYI all ringears (new) run about $150.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the plastic gears are made to fail before damage occures

to the flywheel. Even some brands use brass gears which will

still fail before the steel flywheel.

If you PM me with your Simplicity belt # I'll see if I have any.

I'm selling Simplicity belts now (also on eBay) and will make

our club members a deal.