Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Front Wheel Bushings

What is the secret to removing the bushings from the front wheels of my Simplicity 738? Also, should I replace them with steel or bronze?

They can be punched out from the center of the hub outwards and new ones tapped in wih a hammer. As far as material they are bushings and not bearings therefore needed to lubricated more often. Bronze is less wearing on the axle shafts than steel. Grafite wears faster but axle shafts if lubed are usually in better shape.

tej
Don't forget to mention to be careful when re-installing the new bushings. If you are going to "pound" them in use a block of wood to "cushion" the blow - otherwise you may crack the flange or peen the bushing in. Also align the flat so that it clears the grease fitting. Proper way is to press in place. Also may need to be reamed for alignment if they do not go back on easily. Smooth set screw burr with a file and try twisting back onto axle as you push inward. Grease until you see it come out the side. Wipe up mess. :)