Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 6216 tractor and snowblower help

tomahawk_25

Good evening, this is my first post here and I am hoping someone here can help me out. I purchased a nice simplicity 6216 tractor, deck and snow blower, last weekend. I am in the process of installing the blower on the tractor but I am having some problems, for what ever reason I cannot figure out what is wrong with the pulleys on the ladder hitch. The swing arm that hold the idler pulley wants to hit on the idler pulleys under the tractor. I have attached pictures to show what I am talking about. I don't see any place that this pulley that is rubbing against the swing arm can be moved to. any help would be very much appreciated

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/tomahawk_25/media/IMAG04701_zpskyagd4lr.jpg.html.

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/tomahawk_25/media/IMAG04681_zpsgiuovq89.jpg.html

Hi Clay,

And welcome to this Funny Farm!

Your tractor product number should be on a silver and black decal (located on frame above the LH running board). MY GUESS IT IS 1690930?

there are (as far as I know) two snow blowers (aka throwers) that are compatible to the 6216, a 36" and a 42"

Simplicity 1690547 - Snowthrower, Single Stage, 36"

Simplicity 1690548 - Snowthrower, Single Stage, 42"

The owners manual for both of these is here

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8auM4rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

Do you have a model (product)mumber for your blower? a product number for the ladder hitch? The indicated ladder hitch for the blowers above (on a 6216) is product number 1690556

And is covered in this parts manual...(on page 10).

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8apHYrE6Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdf

Wayne

As I have the same step up, I believe when you raise the front of the blower hitch to pin to the frame holes, it will lower the back end for clearance. Make sure the pin in the center bracket of the frame goes into the bracket hole in the hitch.

Hope this helps.

Hi Clay,

John is correct. I just put the blower on my Allis T816, same tractor as yours. The hitch has a bracket with a hole in it that slips over the stub shaft that is part of the front axle mount point. When you raise the hitch to slide the bracket over this shaft, it won't go because of hitting the vari-drive pulley. You have to lift the front of the hitch to near the height it will be when pinned before it will go on. This gets me every year! I put a couple of pcs. of 2X4 under the back of the blower housing, where the hitch pins on. This will raise it enough so you can hang the rear of the hitch on the stub shaft.

Hope this helps!

Steve

p.s. Snowing like all get out here in Iowa, maybe play some tomorrow!

Howdy guys, Wayne you are correct the tractor number is 1690930, but the snow blower is a 1690403. I could not find a part number on the ladder. it's possible it's the wrong frame for the 6000 series. the gentleman I bought it from said he had used it for years, but he was pushing 90 and his eye sight was going, so he no longer needed it.

ok here's what I did, I hooked up the ladder hitch first, then after I go that attached I attached the snow blower onto the ladder. when I put the bracket over the short shaft on the frame I don't see anyway for the back to lower. at least not enough when I pin the front of the ladder to the frame. the only thing I can see that might work is if I modified the bracket and made it longer so the rear frame hung lower.

after that didn't work, I Tried Steve and John's suggestion and I attached the ladder to the blower and lifting it as one unit to attach to the tractor with 2x4's, no such luck, with that rear bracket in place the frame is just to high.

Now both the manuals( the parts list and the installation manual for that blower I have read mention something about "except 6000 series" with that bracket but they don't' say what the Except is.

and now to top it off, It snowed yesterday we got 4-5 inches of snow, so after fighting with the snow blower for several hours yesterday I said to heck with it, I'll just hook up the plow that came with it, because it's supposed to be 60 by thanksgiving so everything is going to melt. once I got the plow hooked up, it wouldn't start.... it is stuck in gear from when I backed it into the garage last Sunday. I played with it for a bit yesterday before finally calling it quits from irritation, it's almost as if it got cold and then got stuck in gear any thoughts on this.

Clay,

No clue on the tranny being stuck, never heard of cold doing that unless the grease in the tranny is so thick from the cold. Might try draining it and replacing it, making sure you have the correct stuff. If the hitch is hitting when the front pins are in, you must have either the wrong hitch or it somehow got bent. Can't imagine bending one that way tho. Maybe if you can post pictures it would help.

Steve

Welcome to the club.

I cant help you with your snowblower problem but if my memory serves me correct, the "stuck in gear" problem can be corrected by removing a plastic access "plug" from the upper rear of the transmission by using a 3/8" ratchet extension. Place the Shift lever in Neutral.

Shine a small flexible light inside & using a long small screwdriver, you can slide the gear back into neutral. I don't remember if the clutch needs to be engaged.

I did this one time about 20 years ago so I can't remember exactly the "According to Hoyle" method is but hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks I've left.

Tomahawk, I have the 6216 tractor and 36 inch snow thrower. I couldn't look at your pics as my company blocked the content. (a-holes). Anyway you want to have the entire hitch assembly together. You want to attach hitch hole above rear pulleys to pin on frame first. Make sure engage lever faces rear of the tractor as well. Then pin in the sides of the hitch to the frame (four locations). There shouldn't be any contact with the hitch pulleys if installed this way. Hope this helps. Can't advise on stuck transmission. Also the pulley adjustment procedure in the manual that was sent to you is critical for proper auger engagement for maximum throwing power.

Regards Dave

In my quest of a ladder hitch for my4212, I remember someone cautioning me, that there were two sizes (heights) of the rear hitch support (pivot). The IPL does specify a different part# for the 6000, down at find #34.What the actual length of #34 is ???from the IPL...

Support_hitch_rear.jpg

Support_hitch_rear.jpg.93f3567e987ce26b717933b3f0f8984a.jpg

Clay,Finally got a few pics of mine. Maybe they will help as far as the blower hookup is concerned.Steve

DSC01717.JPG

DSC01720.JPG

DSC01721.JPG

DSC01722.JPG

DSC01723.JPG

DSC01724.JPG

The one shows the helper spring I hooked up to the side opposite the lift lever to help level out the blower when raised. It helped some but I don't have enough tension on it yet, needs some tweeking. Here are a couple of my snow removal pair.Steve

DSC01715.JPG

DSC01716.JPG

DSC01717.JPG.63c1838f9babbf1be0a7a019d1fd2727.JPG

DSC01720.JPG.88b07575b7dd1e32080c0ba5ec829be0.JPG

DSC01721.JPG.f5bb9935916b0746c41d210cd2baf961.JPG

DSC01722.JPG.ef83a388e39c257d0301ec81ddf4d0d4.JPG

DSC01723.JPG.4383165768c7ccf5652adc22ec9d308a.JPG

DSC01724.JPG.9e8dc4d8c810d38f0dfafa32a18c4663.JPG

DSC01715.JPG.6c7f904c87b0988a4e8ee0d9bef94b35.JPG

DSC01716.JPG.fe81ff451e0cb4986f5e591c72ecc596.JPG

Clay,

I do seem to remember that on my Allis 810GT I used to have, the bracket on the hitch that has the hole to slide over the stub shaft to support the rear of the hitch was shorter. Maybe they made this longer, and repositioned the mounting holes up front, to clear the varidrive idler pulley on the later models, including the 6216? The Allis 810gt was supposed to be pretty much the same as a 6010 Simplicity, which does not have the varidrive on it.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne, thanks for that info on the rear hitch support.

Steve those pictures help a ton, thank you for the taking the time to post them. after looking over those pictures I'm sure it's the wrong ladder that's on there. but I think with a little fabricating I make a new rear hitch support bracket that will lower the rear portion of the bracket as long as I only hook up the front pins. in theory..... I believe this will work :)

Shaun thanks for the info on the tranny, I got it out of gear.

Dave thanks for the info on the pulley adjustment, I honestly hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it.

I really appreciate all the help guys. Thank you

I will post pictures when I get it all back together.