Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kt17 seires two problem

a_sannine

Kt17 series 2 on my 7117 giving me troubles , engine will start for like 10 seconds , back firing , puffing black smoke , cutting off ,shaking then dies.

Here what I did

Carb total rebuilt

tune up , new points /condenser /spark plugs / fresh gas .

I tested the fuel pump .

I did every thing I could think off with no luck , I am leaning toward bad governorid="red"> now .

Good compression.

Good spark .

Thoughts please ?

I would doubt the governor being the culprit. It should run well with a bad governor, it just will be wild as far as steady rpm's. Perhaps a sheared flywheel key? Sound kind of like the timing is off or perhaps a bad coil.

You may want to consider the ignition coil failing in its early stages/going intermittent. They are a somewhat known failure item on the KT series engines. They are not a cheap item to buy however. Others have substituted a Harley Davidson points coil or even a Japanese 2-cyclinder motorcycle coil. If you have 2 Delco Remy single tower coils wired in parallel, that might help pinpoint down/eliminate the problem.

Tom (PK)

Just got back from the garage , it is not the coil , this engine driving me nuts , Ill check the timing with the light as u suggested Ken , but I don't think it is the issue as I watched when points open the mark is centered in the hole on the right.

I am gonna pull heads out tomorrow , I hope it is not a valves problem .

It sounds like timing, did you have the condition before the new points and condenser? I have had new points/condensers that have given me fits.

Valve sticking would also act like bad timing. You can check valve closure in the valve spring boxes without pulling the heads.

Coil failure on the KTs are not uncommon, I have heard of partial failures that makes the engine do all sorts of crazy things. I have been lucky my KT coils have just failed, and then easy to diagnose.

BTW, you can remove the heads without completely removing the engine. Remove mounting bolts and then lift engine high enough to get at the screws that hold the head tin/shrouds.

If the 7117 you're having problems with is a mfg#1691717, check safety relay. It can be seen in this wiring diagram:

16GTHL_Wire7117.jpg

IMO, this relay was the first generation of the safety interlock module used in later model tractors. Temporarily hook a +12v lead to the "+" side of the coil so spark isn't lost if something's wrong with the wiring/components that keep the safety relay closed.If the direct wire solves the problem then you'll have to track down the problem. I'd first check the seat nanny; if it isn't closing properly, I think spark is lost.

16GTHL_Wire7117.jpg.d137ff1a78d48f834e3f9ba006b2d4c3.jpg

PS - If you're 7117, is an earlier model, it doesn't have the relay; coil +12v is supplied directly from the ignition switch as can be seen in this wiring diagram:

16GTHL_Wire7117_NoIM.jpg

16GTHL_Wire7117_NoIM.jpg.790f0bf644fec254e81a9b1542f594a0.jpg

It all started last year when I was plowing , all the sudden it started to back fire , run very rough , smoking black ,shaking , barely made it to the garage , started using another tractor .

I will do the above Monday ,I will check on the serial number as well it does have the safety switch under the seat which I checked , and I crossed the wires togather as well , I tried every thing I could think off no luck so far .

Monday another round .