Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

plastic gas tank repair?

victorsnc

Anyone ever had any luck with epoxy repair on the late model Sovereign white plastic gas tanks? I know plastic welding is preferred, but right now I am just trying to stop the leak until I have time to take the tank out.

The plastic tank in my 4108 leaked at the seam. I used an application appropriate epoxy and it never stopped the leak entirely. Found a replacement on Ebay for under $35 to the house.

I have used this for plastic tanks and it has worked.

http://www.alliedelec.com/eclectic-products-380113/70596935/?mkwid=sabYU23qn&pcrid=30980760979&gclid=CO6po_e6pskCFQ2OaQodEWUAng

First, clean it really good, and rough it up well. I used a grinding stone in a drill to rough up mine. Then clean again. Then, apply a layer of Seal All and over it put a layer of duct tape. Let it dry and then repeat until you get a thick patch over the spot. I did a gas tank on a John Deere a few years back and it is still holding.

the layers of seal all and duct tape get really tough.

Steve

quote:Originally posted by BLT

Can you see the leak?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes, I can see and access the leak for repair. I am looking for an epoxy repair method compatible with the white plastic gas tanks that Simplicity used in the later model Sovereigns.

Originally posted by victorsnc
quote:
id="quote">Your answer is in the previous post, seal all and duct tape. Works good, lasts a long time.John U

• 3 years later...

The only Plastic Epoxy I've had any luck with is Do it Best Plastic Epoxy 387010. When I did the plastic body on my 1864 Cub last year I tested a whole hand full of products on scrap pieces. It did better than everything else, actually fused to the plastic. There are a BUNCH of different plastics though. What works best on one may not work on another. The 1864 hoods are Xenoy I believe, a polycarbonate blend. I'd research the tank material a little, see if you can figure out what it is.

Make sure you use the 387010 in a WELL ventilated area. NASTY fumes! Sets quick though.