Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-12 sighting

dhoadley

I don't spot many of our older tractors here along the CT shoreline east of New Haven. Imagine my surprise yesterday, while sitting at a light to turn onto Rte. 1 in Guilford, when I saw an old guy doing a final cut on a nice, apparently original, B-12 PULLING a mower. I've never seen a setup like that before. No rollers, just 2 spinable wheels holding up the rear. Was this a factory item or did he take a belly deck and modify it to pull behind him?

The PO of my '68 Landlord did some commercial mowing, and had two of the towable, self powered, mower decks, that he planned to use along with his new Jacobson 12 HP Hydro. would have been handy on my former property to mow the 1-1/4 acre of grass.

They were either powered by 6 or 8 HP B&S, on 42" decks, best when set up with three self-powered decks.

The PO depended on the tractor mounted 42" deck to bridge the gap between the towed decks. Essentially a 72" cutting path.dOd

Doesn't sound like a swisher pull type nor an OEM Simplicity trailing mower. Must have had its own engine to power it. Could have been homemade.

This deck wasn't self-powered, it must have been run off the tractor. It looked about the size of the deck that would have belonged underneath the tractor. I may go see if I can talk to him someday on my bike as its just a few miles from home, but alas, there was nowhere for me to pull over my truck.

Probably better you didn't bother him while cutting. I know I was always a bit annoyed by that when there was a football game in town and people would get lost and then stop me while mowing and ask for directions. Sometimes I gave them the wrong directions.