Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Swap K341 for Cast 16hp

rich_kildow

I find myself with a cast 16hp in my 7116 that is burning some oil and I fear it is nearing the end of it's useful (reliable) life without a rebuild. I have a solid K341 that just needs a tuneup from a 916 I've been cannibalizing for my 7122 build. Would this K341 swap into the 7116 fairly easily? Obviously the cables may need to switch with the tractor, but is the wiring and driveshaft fairly similar?

Mechanically is should be an easy switch, especially if you have the driveshaft and/or rubber coupling if the K341 had one. Not sure if the bolt holes are already there in the for the engine or the driveshaft length is the same for the Briggs vs the Kohler.

Electrical will require some changes - the Briggs is magneto ignition and Kohler battery ignition. So you'll have to change the ignition switch and do some minor rewiring. Or use an intermediate relay as BLT has suggested for this switch. Not sure about interlock module complications, it would depend on what specific mfg # tractors your dealing with.

If you have the donor 916, you have everything you need.

Differences:

Exhaust

Drive Shaft flywheel adaptor

Ignition switch

Oil drain location, should not be a problem coming from a 916 same frame as the 7115.

The engine drops right in and uses the same holes in the frame of the tractor. Leave the exhaust on the K341 and it will route to the same hole in the right frame.

Leave the flywheel adaptor on the K341 and it will bolt right up to the drive shaft. They use the same drive shaft length.

The K341 is a battery ignition system which uses a different ignition switch (use the one from the 916). Along with some minor wiring changes.

I don't remember if the engine electrical plug is the same for the Briggs and the Kohler. If not, some slight wiring changes may be needed for that connection.

The K341 on my Allis 416 just snapped the rod and cracked the block so I swapped in a K341 from an Allis 716. When I went to swap the manual PTO to the electric I found the output shaft was smaller on the 716 engine than the 416 had.

Something to keep in mind when swapping engines as you might have to make changes for your front PTO.