Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Foam filling tires?

dentwizz

I am debating foam filling my rears since the tires are decent but leak. People say they will be heavier(a positive) and stiffer(not sure). Anyone have experience with this?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/lawn-mower-tires-zmaz09amzraw.aspx

http://www.americanindustrialtire.com/foamfilled.htm

http://www.tyrfil.com/

A quick Google search and I found these.

I don't think sidewall stiffness would be an issue.

When I was in the military, we had some trucks that had foam filled tires. Heavy, yes, but because the particular vehicles they were on were also heavy, the tires would flat spot and cause shaking issues.

I would think that on a garden tractor, flat spots would just get annoying, thump, thump, thump, while you were mowing.

I have a hand truck I put foam in and so far it's working, only thing being is I did it on a cool day where they should be at least room temp to cure.

Use a tube do not put in tubeless tire

You probably will have to cut tire off rim

When tire gives out

But you will not have to scrap foam off of rim

My foam never fully cured

I used the foam in a can used to fill holes

The ride will be MUCH harsher, based on my limited experience with skidsteers and foamed tires. I'd recommend just a good heavy duty inner tube...

Was at Countryside lawn and garden yesterday, they have new foam filled tires priced 6in. and with installation two would be about $90 maybe to much for some but if your buying new tires why not eliminate the flats. I know I'll consider next time. They do handle different sizes