Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Undercoating decks - suggested products

mroman59

In the past people have talked about undercoating their tractor deck and several products were suggested. I can not remember the names but there was one product that a gentleman stated he used that he said was very tough and no touch ups were required. If any of you have some good products that you have tried and could recommend, please post. This would be for a new deck with fresh paint. No rust. Thanks

I was thinking about the same thing. I'm glad the Super Starter Kit was posted, that seems perfect. Is that enough to do a 50" deck?

Also, I'm thinking of getting some Simplicity Orange to match, is it worth the price? Or, even better, does anyone know any other commonly sold spray paint or quarts that match?

Used motor oil, doesnt cost a penny. I brush it on after summer mowing, first power wash underneath then brush on used motor oil.

I'd check out Kubota orange...I think its a pretty close match to simplicity orange. I custom mixed some Allis orange and ford red this summer, and came pretty close as well. To my eye though...if I were going to do another deck, I think I'd try the kubota first.

Originally posted by Smolenski7

I was thinking about the same thing. I'm glad the Super Starter Kit was posted, that seems perfect. Is that enough to do a 50" deck?

id="quote">Many of us use DupliColor spray paint. DE1607 is the code you want for Simplicity.

I use KBS Rust-Seal and that stuff is amazing. Moisture cure polyurethane paint. Manufacturer states you have to top-coat it with another paint if exposed to direct sun - but the underside of the mower deck is where the sun don't shine. I painted the underside of my B-10 deck about 8 years ago, and never expected it to last this long because of really sandy soil. Not one sign of bare metal or rust.

Many of us use DupliColor spray paint. DE1607 is the code you want for Simplicity.
id="quote">

This seems like a much better deal than Por-15 Super Starter Kit, and it seems to be a great product. Does anyone else have experience with it? Would you suggest the silver in this product too? I'm just wondering before I order the System Sampler.

I use KBS Rust-Seal and that stuff is amazing.
id="quote">

I used the KBS Rust-Seal industrial yellow color to paint the underside of my deck. I am not aware of any difference in "thickness" or durability of the KBS rust seal product.

I used Rustoleum epoxy spray paint made for applicances, but

put it on the bare metal after sandblasing. 5 years later the

paint film is still intact.

Tom

Any of you tried this on a commercial mower deck? Just wondering seeing my decks turn at a very high speed,original paint only lasted a year so I'm looking for something different

Used motor oil. For the last 15 years, at Summer's end, I scrape/wire brush the deck. I then paint the underside with old motor oil. My deck is still solid and if I stay diligent it will last longer than me. Home grown recycling and I don't have to buy paint.

Silver aluminum paint. The kind you buy to coat a flag pole or a large LP tank. I clean any dried on grass with multi tool blade and slop on the silver paint each spring. It has a pretty slick surface and it cleans off pretty well with a "sweeper nozzle" on my hose after each cutting.

I also use the Rustoleum epoxy spray paint made for appliances. I an getting after a little rust on my truck and am using OSPHO to reduce the rust to an inert phosphate before painting. I plan to also use it on mower decks before painting.

• 2 weeks later...

we have been selling ez slide a spray on graghite coating that is used on the new drills and on the new discbine swathers wire wheel deck good and spray on a few coats for the first time that wet spring grass doesnt seem to stick