Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

Tire change

rsnik

It is probably covered many times but I am too exhausted to look for it. I bought a pair of Carlisle Super Lugs for the front tires of a Sovereign 18 Hydro I bought recently.

The rim is super clean. One original tire had been replace with a Carlisle tire which is an inch or more less tall. On the discharge side no less. This resulted in breaking off a big length of the roller bar on that side from it digging in. Getting that tire off was insane. I ended up using a sawzall and cutting around both sides of the tire to pull it off and get at the bead on both sides. The tire beads on the rim were not glued on but were beyond belief difficult to remove, even with full access and a major arsenal of tools.

Now to mount the new Super Lug without the insanity. The tire is next to the heater to keep it warm. A mixture of dish soap and a little water for lubrication is waiting for tomorrow.

Any pointers or advice is most welcome.

steve-wis

You pretty much got it, dish soap works great. I bought a set of real tire irons a while back and they really are a lot easier to use than the make-shift pcs. of flat stock and old screwdrivers I used to use. Also, I put a bolt into my vice and slip the rim down over it and snug it there with a nut, holds it nice while prying the bead over the rim.

Steve

rsnik

Thanks Steve.

So the first bead should pop over the top of the rim with some major downforce, yes? Then working the final bead over the rim requires tools. The pro tire mounting tool set goes for around fifty bucks. I thought the usual hillbilly engineering would suffice. Unh Huh.

edlincoln

I've mounted more than a few front tires, usually takes 3 big screw drivers. I watched a video about a week ago and the guy put a visegrip on the lip of the rim to stop the tire from slipping. It made it a lot easier to mount.

dentwizz

Anymore, even though I have a harbor frieght tire changer I will often take it to a car shop to change it. Face it, how much of that headache is worth paying a guy $15-30 to change and blow up? Sometimes blowing it up is the harder part too.

theniteowl

All good advice above but I would add one more BIG help suggestion.

Once you have one bead over the rim and are putting on the second side, push down on the side of the tire that is already within the rim area so that it can slide further into the rim. This allows the side not yet over the rim to pull back farther so less force is required to pry it over the lip of the rim.

If let to itself the tire will stay up near the top of the rim which is much further out from the hub so that the other side of the tire not yet over the lip of the rim has much further to be stretched.

A woodworking or C clamp on the side of the tire squeezing the tire bead surfaces closer together will make things a LOT easier.

I was struggling last night to replace a tube in the rear of my 716H and then remembered the info above and finished it up quickly thereafter.

rsnik

Thank you all so much for the tips and techniques. I have some big, woodworking bar clamps. Vice grips sound just dandy as a second pair of hands. I can see how getting the first bead worked onto the rim well seated first would help help with the second.

Paying my local shop to mount the tires has that nifty persuasive effect like being asked would you like an ice cold beer just after shoveling 9 tons of gravel. Hmmm, you know I do have to go into town anyway and I do go right past Gary's repair shop.