Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 Governor rod spring

rich_kildow

I was chasing down some issues on my 7116 and along with a broken breather disc I found that the spring on the rod that goes from the end of the governor arm up to the carb's butterfly was broken on both ends. I ordered a new one but am not sure how it hooks up. Do the loops feed through the holes that the rod goes through or do they just hook over the arm to keep tension on the arms?

I look through my L-head repair manual, as well as Zippo's videos, and couldn't find any mention of this spring anywhere.

I always try to hook mine through the rod holes.They seem to stay in place better IMO

I have had a few older models that actually had holes next to the holes that the rods pass through .

Yes, around the rod, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to hook over the arm or through the holes the arm is through. Where the old one was broken it appeared that they had rubbed in the holes and broken there, which got me thinking about it.

Rich,

My experience has been that the spring ends need to go thru the holes, either the same ones as the rod or if available another hole close to it. The spring holds the sloppiness out of the linkage to prevent any surging of the engine, as far as I know anyway.

Steve

Yea...has to go through the holes. Otherwise if it was just hooked to the rod at each end it wouldn't be doing anything. It would just be a spring with the ends hooked on one solid piece of metal. By putting ends through the holes it keeps the governor arm and the butterfly squeezed together if you will and removes sloppiness in the linkage as others have said.