Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas tank epoxy

ketchk

My 64 Landlord failed to start so i checked spark its great then took off breather and shot of ether fired right up Great but wont keep running. pulled the fuel line off and just a trickle of gas coming out. might be the gas line i have had a collapsed one before. but there is alot of rust back in the tank about 10 years ago i took the tank out and with diesel and bolts shook all the rust out. but its back a friend told me about a product for motorcycle tanks that but a epoxy lining inside the tank has any one used one of these products and how did it work thank you

Used kreem for my landlord2110 tank & been holding for years. Just follow directions-prep work is the key before applying. I used a handful of gravel in my tank and dragged behind tractor to help clean inside before applying kreem.

I tried electrolysis on a motorcycle tank and it took the rust off nicely. When I filled the tank for the first time though it sprouted a bunch of pinhole leaks.

Got to be careful how long you leave the power on when using electrolysis. :(

There are a number of products for lining the inside of a gas tank but I have read a lot about the liner delaminating over time due to the ethanol in the fuel. When this happens the lining begins clogging the filter and carb. Cleaning the failed liner out of the tank can be a big PITA.

For my 65 101 I used a lot of nuts and bolts to scour it smooth inside then used evaporust to disolve the remaining rust. After a good cleaning and drying I coated it with Red-Kote. Red-Kote is supposed to be immune to the ethanol but it is a good idea to treat your fuel for ethanol anyway as it is not good for your engine. So far it is working nicely for me. I ended up replacing that old motorcycle tank and lining another replacement with Red-Kote and all is good so far.

I used por 15 on my tank and it worked out good. I did alot of research on this at the time I was doing it and this one seemed the best based on reviews. I bought the motorcycle tank kit and used exactly half of everything for the tractor tank. That way I could do 2 tractor tanks with one kit.

I have been using Red-Kote for years on tractors, a couple of antique trucks, lawnmowers more than most have seen, even lined the inside of the smallest metal oil can I have ever seen. As far as I know, it has never delaminated. I use it on all tanks now, when I am reworking old engines. Can't remember the directions, but first coat, after a couple rinses with MEK, is cut 50/50 Red-Kote/MEK, second coat, 25% MEK/75% Red-Kote. The product is so thick, it is difficult to get it everywhere in the tank without thinning. Do I need to say well ventilated? Let the tank dry thoroughly before second coat and again before using. Dry means no evidence of the MEK scent