Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3212h restoration

Gcabinet1

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help. I am getting ready to pull the engine on my simplicity 3212

Looks like there are four bolts that hold it down to the chassie. And the drive shaft has to come off

Besides wires and gas line ,grill anything else I should know to disconnect .

Thanks Gary

Pull the engine today, I need a new (used) engine blower shroud Briggs 12hp 304- 294698 .anyone have a used one you want to sell

Thanks Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Needing some help.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 12hp Briggs

Should I use Oem piston and rings or can I use after market. If so any good brands and places to order from.

Thanks Gary

I was under the impression, the last time I looked, that all pistons and rings were NLA through both B&S and aftermarket for the 12hp engine. The good news is it can be bored out to 14 hp (32 cubic inch) bore specs and you can use a STD piston in it. You can still get them through Briggs. You might want to get a cylinder head from a 14hp to match the 32 cubic inch bore. Another option is to look for a new old stock 12hp piston on eBay.

I also believe Chris727 is bang on with the 300000 cast iron series of engines and no pistons/rings are available through B&S. I have a few pistons/ring sets left in my inventory which will probably see service in my lifetime. Others have gone the fairly easy route of boring it to a 32 C.I. and using a STD 3.5625" piston/rings. The machine shop boring cost may be a little more pricey since we're talking about .125" of boring VS the typical .010"-.030" oversize material bore operation.

Tom (PK)

I have heard of shop prices varying widely. I have a local machinist that will bore a single cylinder for under $40 when going in common bore increments. I have heard of the same job costing over $100 at other shops. I'm not sure how much more it would be to do the larger overbore.

You say I need a 3.5625 piston or is that the bore size?

Is there a piston /ring set number I can look for to get an Oem or are the aftermarket ones good quality.

Thanks for the help

You say I need a 3.5625 piston or is that the bore size?

Is there a piston /ring set number I can look for to get an Oem or are the aftermarket ones good quality.

Thanks for the help

The piston you will need for the larger bore is part # 390364 which supercedes to # 792365. Lists for around $64.00 through Briggs. The service manual will give the bore size specifications.

A few more engine questions

I have the engine totally apart now.i am going to have it bored out to 32 cu in. I called one shop they told me it would be $150 to $200 ( guess they didn't want to do it) I found a shop that will do it for $50.00

The intake valve looks good and the exhaust valve ok but it does have a shallow groove in it, should I replace it or will lapping take care of that. The exhaust valve guide is a little sloppy.can the old guides be replace Do?

I will replace main bearings, should I replace the other ones that are under the gear covers.

Thanks again for the help

I

You can replace the guides. Whenever I take a block to my machinist I have him do the valves too. He can grind the valves and cut the valve seats. Any good machine shop should be able to do that also. Do you have a parts book for your engine and a service manual? Replacing valves and guides may not be terribly expensive with the large supply of NOS parts available through eBay.

I'm sorry I was wrong about the guides. I looked at both the 12 and 16 hp parts catalogs and there was no listing for valve guides. I know some other brands like Kohler offered replacement guides for their engines. I will do some more checking and if I find something I will let you know. I think I might have seen some numbers for guides in one of the Service books.

The bearing covers are the same but for what little they cost, I would just use new ones. They are maybe $6. They are a common size trailer bearing and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find new ones at a farm supply store. Simplicity part number is old # 154487 or new# 2154487YP and they retail for $3.55 each.

I'm sorry. I didn't read the manual at the link. It is an older version that does not contain the information you need. It will be in a 1990's Single Cylinder L-Head service manual.