Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Broadmoor First Restoration

simGTH16

I am restoring my first garden tractor ,,, its a center pivoting Simplicity Broadmoor. I am trying to figure out the year and model, it has a 8hp briggs on it but I think it might of had a engine swap ,,,,the mfr # is 990303 and serial # is 022665. from my research I believe it might of had a 6hp originally ? But I am not for Sure ,,,,any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much , I am very excited about my first restoration !!! I cant figure out how to upload a pic or I would sorry new member

Thank you so it must have had a engine change at some point ,,,,, I guess I will have to track down the right era 6hp for it , would like it to be original

990303 tractor was built for the 1964, 65 and 66 model years the engine used was a Briggs 6 HP, Model 146701, type 0121-01. S/N build dates from Simplicity are a better guarded secret then the combination to the vault at Fort Knox.:D Knowing the Briggs engine S/N, would get you an idea as Briggs S/N's are the actual build date of the engine. With that knowledge and using standard manufacturing criteria, your tractor was built within 60-90 days of engine build.

Welcome to the club! I have been through Havana in my travels. Maybe 2-1/2 hours from where I'm at. I always liked that style of Broadmoor. Please keep us posted with your progress. The original engine would also have been either manual recoil start or would have had a Delco-Remy starter generator.

The Broadmoor had a 6 HP Briggs in 64. They switched to 7 HP in either 65 or 66.

I picked up two a while back and stripped one for parts so if you are missing anything I have some extra.

thank you very much for all your guys help !! I just returned home from the holidays and am ready to get back to work !!! My plan is a complete restore and I am in the process of prepping parts for paint now. I was wondering if anybody had any info on the paint codes for the orange and white on the tractor , I checked simplicity but all I could come up with was the paint codes for the new machines.? also still have trouble with exact year because of the 8hp briggs that is on it that I don't believe is original ? the numbers on it however are model#191707/type202501/code 87060410.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

The Broadmoor went to 707 in the 1967 MY. Here is tractor product number, engine model and type,990374 170702 0123-01.

id="quote">
id="quote">that is a nice tractor!!

Very sure it is the wrong engine. You should have 6hp engine with the 3 bolt 2 piece FloJet carb. Not a 1 piece FloJet as pictured. It would also have a round air filter and a starter/generator. I can't quite read the engine numbers in your pic, but it looks like the code begins with 87 - means the engine is from 1987.

ok thanks I was pretty sure it was not the correct engine ,,, I am currently searching for the correct one with no luck so far , want to keep the tractor original , shame tho that 8hp ran really good .sure I will find a use for it some day

well I have the tractor in pieces right now , almost ready to start priming and painting ,very excited. I am debating weather to restore the 8hp for now , it runs great just wanted originality . I am going to hold out as long as possible tho hoping that I find the correct 6hp

The model year information on these is sketchy.

Some info on the site indicates the 707 would be a 66 with the 717 beginning in 67.

The Broadmoor I just picked up has a model number of 900375 but the engine number is 170701 0122 01 6703301. This indicates the engine is 67. The engine or the rear pan might have been swapped out so I cannot tell for certain.

This link: http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1964-1967.htm

indicates that the 707 was a 1966 and 717 was 67.

The 287/288/303 models were 64 and 65. (The 64 notably distinct by it's all black dash)

The New in 1966 page says the Broadmoor was a 6HP but it also uses several photos of the 64 Broadmoor with all black dash. I suspect the catalog displayed is not for 66 but for 64 or 65. It also shows the Landlord 101 in the lineup for the year but I have seen evidence to suggest the 2010 began in 66 and the 101 was only 1965.

Simplicity appears to have made an effort to make a change in every model year whether it be appearance, engine size or model number.

Welcome to the site Matt!

That is one nice project you have started. If this were my tractor, I myself would restore it to whatever configuration that makes YOU happy. So what if it's not picture perfect OEM stock?.As long as you enjoy the tractor and it makes YOU happy it's money well spent IMO. Not everyone has the expertise or cash or desire to bring these tractors back to their full glory and there seems to be a movement toward leaving them in their "Work clothes" as of late rather then full blown restorations on a tractor and then parking it away and worrying about scratching the paint or getting it dirty. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with full restorations it comes down to what YOU enjoy and not at all about what others think about your tractor.

I myself have done both a full restoration and left them " As found"

To me it's the HUNT...to others it's the challenge and to most all of us it's the people in the hobby and the common interests and passion we share.

Take whatever part of the hobby it is that pleases you most about these tractors and enjoy it because at the end of the day only doing what makes YOU happy will keep you involved it it for years to come.

JMO

Wiz

I really enjoy the hunt to save tractors from the scrap yard ,,, they were built when things were built to last and people put thought into what they designed. It will be hard for me not to use the Broadmoor even once its restored ,,, so I am sure it will keep on working and cutting the grass nice and even once its done. I have 17 tractors in my collection now and am currently discussing adding #18 with someone on this site. Thank you for all the help from everyone and the nice welcome to the club. Happy to chat with people that share my love of the hobby.

6hp Broadmoors were made from 1963 to 1965. Unclear when the color of the dash and steering wheel changed. I have what is likely a pretty early 6hp Broadmoor with a black dash and white steering wheel. It does not have the grease fitting for the center pivot - that was added in production and addressed in a service bulletin. It also has 17x9.5-8 rear tires instead of the 18x9.5-8. Presumed to be original, but can't prove it. It did not have the original engine anymore.

I have a 1966/67 Broadmoor 707, mfg 990374 with the correct engine, which is 170702 0123-02 6609221. Very likely to be original - my dad bought it used in the mid 1970's from the then local Simplicity dealer.

Simplicity often list years as I did above 1966/1967, 1967/1968. They never had a hard or set model year. Especially if or when a mfg number changed. As stated elsewhere, if the engine is fair to assume as original, the date code is likely to be a few months older than the tractor. With my engine date coded September 22, 1966, that 707 was not likely shipped and sold until sometime in early 1967. So, I would refer to it as a 66/67 model since there is supporting factory info stating that 707 Broadmoors were for/from 1966, even though this one may not have existed until 1967. At the very least, if we are going to draw comparisons to the automotive calendar year, then mine is definitely a 1967. Either way, the model/mfg number is the most important thing we can know and use with our tractors, since some of the model names and even mfg numbers were sometimes used for more than one year.