Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ribbed tire steering

rich_kildow

I have been doing more plowing this year and while chains and weights have made a huge difference, I'm finding that the front end skids around a lot as the turf tires skid on the snow. Have any of you tried any different tires to help with this? I know there are tri-ribs which I would imagine would help greatly. But I also found some snowblower tires of the right size that look like ag tires, as well as some very aggressive ones like the Kenda Xtrac and Sno-Hog tires. Any input?

The Deestone triribs seem to be the popular choice, and I thought they were about $50/pr. Not sure tires get any cheaper. I love them...theu help tremendously in snow. The only thing I like better is AGs turned backward (proper for non-driven wheels).

I have found some of the all terrain treads to pack full of snow. You will want a very open tread.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

The Deestone triribs seem to be the popular choice, and I thought they were about $50/pr. Not sure tires get any cheaper. I love them...theu help tremendously in snow. The only thing I like better is AGs turned backward (proper for non-driven wheels).I have found some of the all terrain treads to pack full of snow. You will want a very open tread.

id="quote">
id="quote">Where's the best place to buy the Deestones?

I also give a dOd on the Deerstone tri-ribs. First year using them and so far a huge improvement to the turf tires.

I have 4.00-8, on narrow wheels.

I picked mine up from Froelich tire for $52 for the pair with tubes. I picked them up at a show so I had no shipping costs.

I think Miller tire has a similar price.

They also have a 16/6.50-8 Tri-rib for the wider wheels.

A few years ago there used to be a guy in St louis Mo. that sold tri-ribs but don't remember name. We always used them on our minis when pulling. Like said Miller Tire has them, matter of fact they have or can get almost all old style tires and wheels along with new stuff. Just my $.02

I agree with BLT. I found a set of good tires from a snowblower for 10 bucks and had them mounted. Last year I was blowing with the original B10 tires and I had to turn in the road in first gear and feather the clutch to make a turn across 2 lanes! This year with the snowblower tires mounted, just like the tires in BLT's picture, I can make the turn in 2nd gear!

I just ordered a set of Carlisle Xtrac ATV tires off Amazon. I'll report back when I get them mounted and if we ever get more snow. I found some reviews on other tractor sites that said these were a better option than the Carlisle Snow Hogs and I wasn't having much luck finding anything used.

Every repair shop I have ever been to has many used snowblower tires

(at least up north here!). I think blowers tend to fail long before

the tires wear out.

Tom

Crud, I didn't even think of that. I'll have to call around and see what I can find. I could always put a set on the tractor with the blower/cab on it.

tri ribs deestone 4.x 8 on the 101 and firestone 5x12 on the 616 our local tire store got me both sets the 4x8 were about 30$ each with tubes the 5x12s were about 52$ each with tubes made all the differance in the world could not believe how much better it steers in loose dirt and also much easyer to turn the wheel

I currently have the Carlisle XTrac (4.80x8), mounted on rims from my 710. Love them for blowing snow. Run about 15 lbs of air to support the weight of the 42" blower.

miss read the first of that and thought about plowing and tillage in the garden i would bet that some good soft sno hogs would be excellant for plowing snow

I've also heard guys putting walk behind snowblower chains on the front. Lets them keep the turfs on for summer mowing. Probably find some pretty cheap in Craigslist.

B110guy

quote:Originally posted by Hudco

tri ribs deestone 4.x 8 on the 101 and firestone 5x12 on the 616 our local tire store got me both sets the 4x8 were about 30$ each with tubes the 5x12s were about 52$ each with tubes made all the differance in the world could not believe how much better it steers in loose dirt and also much easyer to turn the wheel

id="quote">
id="quote">Hud.... could you post a pic of the 5 x 12 Firestones? Thanks

i will try to post a pic. they were kind off hard to get i believe they came from a tire shop in indiana my tire shop didnt charge me any extra to find them and get them here. the tire is about 21 1/2 " high with the 9.50 16 firestone field and roads on the back the frame of the 612 sits real leval realey makes the tractor look good and work in the dirt better than the 10.00 18 that was on it when we rescuded it

So what size Tri-Ribs for a 7100 series? I've considered just all AG tires for my tractor but I figure my yard would not appreciate that.

• 4 weeks later...

bicycle chain on front tires work wonders for steering on snow and ice. They must be very tight. Let all the air out of the tires. Compress tire with a ratchet strap. Mount chain, then air up tires.I have been doing heavy plowing with these for 4 years with great success.

front chain strap.jpg

front chain installed.jpg

57e06273537c1_frontchainstrap.jpg.b83ed234f20977433a112a0015fe5dc5.jpg

57e062735c4c5_frontchaininstalled.jpg.19d7cf28834aa38ea36246488427dce5.jpg

• Like 1

they really dont tear up the turf to bad unless i have the weights all on for tillage or if it has just rained alot of my grass is a pasture type of grass also the kentucky blue grass that i have the dirt is so hard the ags and the ribs dont touch it