Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering gear fix AC 710

AC710

Steering was getting very tight on my 710. After inspecting, greasing or oiling everything accessible with no improvement, I finally pulled the steering gear. I took it apart and all the parts were in good condition with little wear. The only thing I could find was a lightly rusted plate used with 2 bolts to adjust the lower bushing. A slight adjustment of the bolts to allow free play, and a good lube job fixed the problem.

Wow! steering went from hardly able to turn the steering wheel to literally one-handed easy turning.

Second on what Burntime said. Your lucky we have a Deutz-Allis 917 that was power washed twice a summer or more and everything on the steering system was rusty. The lower bushing and shaft were even rusty, yes they even power-washed under the battery.Just remember to grease and lube everything once a year, you will be amazed at how much it will need.

Thanks. I haven't used triflow since the 80's on snowmobile slides. I didn't know it was still out there.

I generally grease things in the spring after snowplowing and fall after yard chores. These tractors are so versatile I can't believe it!

I have a 7116 that steers hrd. When I loosened the steering gear from the frame it turned just fine. I wound up shimming the steering gear. It was warped or mis-machined so that one of the mounting points did not touch the frame. When that bolt was tightened it created a bind in the gear unit.

Ken

very interesting:D. They have packed so much stuff in that small space it is amazing. The engineering on these tractors is a marvel.