Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need help with Vickers Leak

Horvik

Hello;

On my 3416 H with a leaking Vickers Hydro, took in for a rebuild where it received new parts and seals. Getting it back and installing it, I noticed after a few days of running a leak on the pintle shaft (of course).

Took it in again and two weeks later got it back. This time including rebushing of the pintle shsft. (Should have been done in the first place).

Now I have a leak on the lower end of the hydro unit. When you lay under the tractor for a closer look, it appears to come from where the lower end of the hydro assembly bolts together.

So while it's pretty clear they don't fix things like they used to, I am wondering if some white shepard hydraulic stop leak will cure this? I don't mind hard work, but taking it in and out is making me nuts.

Thank You

You may need new o-rings where the pump mounts to the lower section or the ones currently installed are the wrong size or were pinched when assembled.

theniteowl;

Thanks for the information. What is real old is that I had taken it in for a rebuild twice now, and still got problems. It ain't fun and game having to pull it out, all over again.

Sure appears to be leaking right where you said where the pump meets the lower section.

When putting in the pump section separately it is easy for those o-rings to slip to the side and get pinched between the two blocks.

If they have not been replaced with new o-rings they may be flattened out as well so that they no longer seal properly.

My original o-rings would not seal well and I could not find the size information for them so I brought them into a hardware store and searched the drawers until I found ones that were approximately the same size but slightly thicker and narrower as they would be if not squashed flat. I do not know if those o-rings are the correct size yet though as the pintle shaft was leaking badly still and I had to pull it out for machining.

There is a sticky here on the Vickers hydro rebuilds and in there I have identified some of the o-ring sizes used. If you have new o-rings and can measure them then fill in any blanks in the sticky it would help a lot of people doing future rebuilds.

I have two hydro transmissions and both leak heavily from the pintle shaft. Once I get the first one back and installed I will rebuild the other to have as a spare.

How did you manage to take off the rear two bolts to get the pump loose? Those are really obnoxious to reach. I ended up using an assortment of socket extensions and a swivel head adaptor the first few times then found using a 1/4" T handle socket driver I could slide the handle all the way out one side and manage to turn the bolt a tiny bit to loosen it then take it out by hand.

Hello Theniteowl;

Thanks for the informative response to my question. The second time I took the Vickers to the Hydraulic Shop, that's when they decided to rebuild/rebush the pintle shaft bearing. So now that is no longer leaking. The leak is where the half come together.

I will have to search out the string you mentioned as I would love to learn. I MAY just have to finish it myself, if i want this to ever be right. $400.00 and two times in the Hydraulic shop and have to take in back in again for the third time.

To answer your question f removing. I learned the best way is to jack up the rear, remove the right rear wheel. Reach inside the frame and hold the bolt head with a open end wrench, then the nuts come off the wheel side with a socket. Hope this saves you grief!

Question: Will a deck belt stretch 2" with wear? I am trying to find a belt for deck M/N 169217, 48" deck. Mine measures 1/2" x 93 1/2" Closest is 91 1/4", so is this one good?

Thanks

Hello thenitecrowd;

I searched but had no luck in locating the sticky you mentioned on Vickers Rebuild.

perhaps you could direct me in the correct direction?

Thanks

Hello thenitecrowd;

I searched but had no luck in locating the sticky you mentioned on Vickers Rebuild.

perhaps you could direct me in the correct direction?

Thanks

The article is under the forum Technical Tips and Articles.

You might have to be a paying member to access it.

There is a very thin gasket between the two halves of the pump so look at that closely and see if it could be the source of the leak. That gasket is thin as onion paper. There is no gasket between the pump and the transfer block just the two o-rings.

I dont think the shorter belt will work with you. There is not a lot of play for these.

Below is the link to the belt cross-reference where you can look for the belt number then you can search for that number for a replacement belt.

HI niteowl;

Thanks for the link to the belts.

I am still searching for that article(s) youo mention on the Vickers rebuild.

I am hungry for that information, so any help you can provide me is very much appreciated.

All the best

Horvik