Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mystery Year Broadmoor Restore

simGTH16

I decide to start a thread charting my progress on my Broadmoor restoration. Many have posted opinions and helpful tips on my thread on talking tractors about it and I greatly appreciate it.dOd So far I have disassembled the tractor and got most of it sanded and am now working on priming the parts. Then more sanding and then the greatest part of all painting it ,,,and maybe someday my first show appearance . It will be a slow process only nights and weekends to work on it and always running around two weekends a month collecting more seems like. But will keep every body updated as I go.

broad2.jpg

broadmoor11.jpg

this is what I started with!

broadmoor31.jpg

broadmoor 32.jpg

This is where I am at as of last night , priming started ,long way to go but worth it !!

broad2.jpg.907631335714b56bc73b48aea964a9b5.jpg

broadmoor11.jpg.e03c665e8cbc0ab934507a21557e88c7.jpg

broadmoor31.jpg.2ca3d4d010413863a3f66222fc100914.jpg

57e05ac135b36_broadmoor32.jpg.b9f6aa067d89cc9954bf1239d9ccae8d.jpg

These are awesome looking little tractors. Looking forward to your progress. You're in luck there are lots of good tractor shows in the region. I hear Jacksonville's show is pretty good.

More sand blasting tonight , small pieces and such ,,getting ready for another primer round tomorrow ,,,,,,,,, Chris when is Jacksonville's show ?

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

I hear Jacksonville's show is pretty good.

id="quote">
id="quote">Talked to a couple fellas here at the house today, who said that same thing. They live 30mins north of there, so they say.

doing more sand blasting and primer prep today while the snow falls . I was wondering if anybody had an opinion or a thought about what to do with the parts that are bare metal or galvanized maybe ? such as the pto handle

Broadmoor 40.jpg

Is it galvanized or just painted ? anybody have any help for how to bring the parts like this handle and others like it back to shine like new ?

57e062423c938_Broadmoor40.jpg.759876a5bd90733d86cab08508c3c040.jpg

thanks answered my question ,,, and that was one sweet tractor too! I will start looking for someone around here that does plating Monday , need to get my bumper and hubcaps re chromed eventually anyway , maybe find a place that does both.

I heard there is a place in Quincy, you may also have some luck calling some motorcycle shops as they may know of a good plating company.

Matt, I'm restoring a B207 and was told by a friend that this place does top notch plating; Dynamic Metal Finish Inc. 5999 Bewick Detroit Mi. 313-922-6455

He has several pieces done for his cars and claims they are very reasonable on chrome plating. I have grille and bumper I want done so as soon as I can afford will have them do it.

Thank you I will check into them ,,, do you have any idea for instance what the bumper costs to get plated ? I heard it can be quite expensive ? also I have been following your thread on the b-207 (looking very nice by the way)what did you do with the bare looking metal parts , did you have any zinc plating done ?

I haven't done anything yet, will try powder coating them. I've been told to expect $100 each but don't qoute me I still have not called. He will from what I've been told prep and plate pieces where others I've talked to want it blasted before they will touch. Moneys getting tight right now as we haven't had any snow and this is how I make a living in winter, I drive a school bus for 2.5 hours a day in morning, helps with bills but doesn't leave much for play.

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

I haven't done anything yet, will try powder coating them. I've been told to expect $100 each but don't qoute me I still have not called. He will from what I've been told prep and plate pieces where others I've talked to want it blasted before they will touch. Moneys getting tight right now as we haven't had any snow and this is how I make a living in winter, I drive a school bus for 2.5 hours a day in morning, helps with bills but doesn't leave much for play.

id="quote">
id="quote">You must plow by appointment, Lloyd? The guys around here who plow usually make people sign a contract for the winter, and charge at the beginning of the season, based on average snowfall...They've made a killing this year!

called plating place you recommended Lloyd a few min ago,, left a message forgot they were on eastern time ,, so will see what they say tomorrow,, other than that tractor is on hold until later in week when temps warm a bit ,, cant keep up heating the shop when its below 20 degrees and windy ,, need to do more insulating . Suppose to be 40 by Thursday though !!

Yeah I plow per time most customers have been down that road and only see one side.

Matt, I haven't had a chance to call them have been redoing living room floor for my honey just about done. Like they say if Mama ain't happy, no buddies happy:lvs

Gotta keep the peace lol ....i called them today and i hope to hear back from the place tommorow so we will see

Finally back in shop tonight , furnace got it up to 65 !!! Getting the parts I wanted to get zinc plated ready to ship to Quincy IL ,,,,They don't do zinc plating , but said they would nickel plate them and put a slight polish on them ,,, so hope they come out looking good in a few weeks. Going to wait on the chrome plating , still one front hubcap short and looking for a bumper in better shape. Got a ways to go anyway , going to get some more sandblasting done tonight !

Good to here your making progress, been like 14* here so not much for freezing did start heaters today but only got up to 50*. Supposed to be in high 30"s tomorrow so may get table built to hold tractor.

If the place in Quincy is reasonable I might have a lot of business for them. My local shop quoted me $100 just to chrome the two small cooling tins on my 18hp Command.

well along with the parts I am sending to get nickel plated , I am going to send them a rear hubcap and a bumper as a sample for them to quote the chrome plating , i will let you know what they say , probably be Friday or Monday before i know . hoping they are reasonable , the nickel plating he said should be under $50 to $40 from what i described to him i needed done. he said the chrome plating depends on condition of parts and how much prep is needed , said they do plating for tractor restorers all over country so might be a good sign !!

Matt, I called the company I told you about but no responce? so I'll talk to Ron and see what the deal is. I'm not much for run arounds&:), way I look at it is if you want or do this then at least answer your phone or return calls, been several days and no responcesm02. Let us know about this place you've found, I may check with them to.

Same thing happened to me when I called the place you told me about Lloyd, figured if they cant take time to call a person back then they didn't need my business!. ,,thats why I called quincy ,,,, I will let you know what they quote me , didn't get parts sent off till yesterday so probably be Tuesday or Wednesday before I know , hope its reasonable , if not will keep searching dOd

Zinc plating is easy to do at home but I have heard it is not expensive to get a whole lot of hardware plated at the same time. I bought some zinc powder on eBay to do some plating at home but have not tried it out yet.

The drawback is having to connect a wire to the piece being plated which limits how much you do at once. I wonder how they plate buckets full at once. Possibly a screen you wire to then tumble the parts over it by shaking or rolling so the parts are constantly being charged but changing position.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • a_sannine
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts