Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Am I crazy?

acken

I picked up a Simp 75th Anniversary tractor over the weekend. Looks complete, and the chrome bling should clean up fine. I am not a big fan of the color, so was thinking of going a different direction. There does not seem to be a big value difference with these compared to the standard version. I am thinking of painting an orange one, and transferring the chrome, and seat over. The decals would have to be redone either way. I have an extra chassis, so I could leave the blue on as is. Before you ask, it was too cold to expect the camera to get pictures (-17 this AM), but will get some soon.

Ken...I like your idea. I've seen some great deals on 75th tractors, but always pass because they are so darn ugly.

I would love to see a 75th done up in orange (or I guess, an orange tractor done up as a 75th!). I'm assuming you are using the Triad to retain the chrome accents? I had one of those and loved the way it ran...just had to park it over cardboard and top her off with oil ;)

According to PO she is a real skeeter smoker, so will most likely be repowered with a 18hp Command. Too many irons in the fire right now, so painting will be a ways off. Given my preference, and to fit in with the gang here, it will most likely lean to the AC style.

I am thinking black chassis, with orange sheet metal.

I didn't know cameras gelled up in the cold...:D Glad you got it! Knowing Ken he will find a way to keep the chrome accents with the command! It will be done by hutch right??;)

I don't know if the digital camera jells, but I know my fingers do. PO gave me first option/trade if I want the original blue deck, as long as I give him a user in trade. I may really be off my rocker, but for the little use it will see, maybe the Triad is fixable. Plus, maybe the "Correct Police" will overlook the color change.

• 2 months later...

75th901b.jpg

Finished pictureI repainted all of the blue sheet metal because of welding,burnthrough by PO. All of the gray is original except for dash, and a small spot on console. Had new decals made before removing for painting. Triad runs well after finding excessive fuel causing smoke. No mower deck yet, but I have the option to trade for useable deck.

75th901b.jpg.388148ad330608b34de35ee85d93d9bd.jpg

I've always wondered what processed Simplicity in the first place to paint them as they did, not bad but what's wrong with orange and white?

quote:Originally posted by 720nut

I've always wondered what processed Simplicity in the first place to paint them as they did, not bad but what's wrong with orange and white?

id="quote">
id="quote">Because of the anniversary, they wanted something that would be different, and stand out. Personally, I think they succeeded.

Probably looks better now than new one did! Good job.

By the way, Ken - what did you use to clean up the chrome?

Thanks Guys. Chris, I have a sign shop about a mile from my house. It took some time from start to finish while he waited for me to finish painting sheet metal, and let it cure. He did save the decal pattern in computer, but I didn't ask for how long. Chrome was pretty good to start with, but I just used cleaner off the shelf, and plenty of elbow grease. I also have one of those tennis ball shaped foam pads to put in cordless drill, like made for wheels. As noted in earlier post, I considered straying from the original paint scheme. Maybe someday I will slip an orange hood, and seat pan on just to see what could have been.

Beautiful Ken!

Will you be skeeter-less this summer, or has that Triad shaped up for you? If I could find a cared, for, good runner, I'd like to have one. Smooth runners, and some day...rare!

I believe I have the optional skeeter chasing function removed, or at least reduced to barely noticeable. We were on the fence about going to Portage this year. Then I heard this die-hard collector from Dorr, MI might be there; so probably will go to get his autograph. If the trailer goes, this one should be on it.

quote:Originally posted by acken

I believe I have the optional skeeter chasing function removed, or at least reduced to barely noticeable. We were on the fence about going to Portage this year. Then I heard this die-hard collector from Dorr, MI might be there; so probably will go to get his autograph. If the trailer goes, this one should be on it.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thought you met him in La Porte.;)