Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

46" blower turner issues

joelk

I have a 46" single stage blower for my prestige. Today the electric shute turner stopped (luckily almost done with driveway). It is very cold so I did not trouble shoot yet, but I can hear the electric motor running, but the pinion gear is not turning. Any thoughts before I go freeze looking at it?

You are sure the pinion is not turning? On my Legacy 2 stage blower, I also had the electric rotator, and from time to time, when it was very cold, the ring gear on the chute would ice up, essentially filling in all the teeth, and the pinion would skip till I chipped it loose.

If the pinion isn't turning, hopefully it's simply a pin that has sheared. I have not had one of those apart.

No, definitely not turning. It happened the last time as well, but I banged it and it started working again. Today, it did start to work and then quit. Now it just sits there, but I hear the motor. Hopefully it will melt in the garage to clear some ice out.

I was excited about having an electric turner, now I long for the old handle. May have to dig out the 42" and put it on the 3112H.

Seems like a bad design, as the exhaust melts the snow near the gear and then it re-freezes in the cold.

quote:Originally posted by joelk

I was excited about having an electric turner, now I long for the old handle.

id="quote">
id="quote">I hear ya. My Legacy blower has an electric spout rotator. I used it last year, but this year I just took the motor off and rigged up a manual rotator. The electric one just rotates way too slow, and it was a lot of work to keep the darn thing from icing up and breaking.

Chris, in the first few seconds of this video I monkeyed with the spout rotator....is your slower than that? I always thought it was plenty fast.

What I learned about the freezing, was that it only really happened if I blew snow for long periods, without using the rotator. The rotator never froze up, but the ring gears accumulated snow/ice. I simply got accustomed to swinging the chute once in a while and no more problems. I don't 'thaw' my tractors though, either. I prefer to leave the snow and Ice on, in the non-insulated garage so snowmelt doesn't form ice.

If someone wants to trade for a manual turn setup, I'd gladly do it :o) I picked up a single stage for the diesel last nite, and am already hoping I don't need it. I always hated stopping to twist, twist, twist, to get my chute where I wanted it. I also don't know how I feel about using a single stage for anything other than goofing around. A 2-stage was a spoiler.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Chris, in the first few seconds of this video I monkeyed with the spout rotator....is your slower than that? I always thought it was plenty fast.

id="quote">
id="quote">Josh: Your video's not there, but from what I can remember you have a different spout rotator setup than I do. I think mine is the older setup. It uses the same motor as the motor that's used to raise/lower decks. And, it isn't really a geared turning system like I remember yours to be, it uses kind of a worm drive setup. You would have to see my driveway and the other stuff that I have to keep clear - it's a lot, and the way it's set up necessitates that I rotate the chute a lot. The manual setup that I made enables me to do it really fast (it's a bit different from the OEM manual setups) and on the fly, rather than stopping, waiting several seconds for the electric motor to jingerly rotate it around, and then starting again. Saves me quite a bit of time.

Well...I would love to see it! Bet you're getting hammered today. (with snow)

This is the vid clip I had intended to show.

Yes the 12 hp was the only limitation, with heavy snow you had to slow down to a crawl.

Back to the Prestige, the problem appears to be in the gearbox attached to the motor. I could put a wrench on the pinion side and it sounded like stripped gears. I took it out to look at it, and now it acts normal. Not sure what would change, unless the mounting puts stress on the gearcase somehow. I really don't want to put it back on and have the same problem.... There is no getting into the gearbox itself, kind of self contained and attached to the motor. I'm going to see if they have one locally, and hope it isn't a normal occurrence with these motors. Putting 50% of the price I paid into the motor s..ks.

Anyone else have a problem with the motor/gearbox for the chute rotator?

I had some problems with the chute rotator motor on a "new" style 42" snow blower.I wrote 2 posts about the issue(s):http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=115199http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=115267However I think the Prestige setup is different. I did find a replacement motor (just in case) at a robot site:http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.htmlSame motor at a much lower price than from Simplicity.

New_Rotator_Motor1a.jpg

New_Rotator_Motor2a.jpg

Maybe they have the motor you're looking for.

New_Rotator_Motor1a.jpg.afb8fcf082630629f0a58c0ab3fe83af.jpg

New_Rotator_Motor2a.jpg.86e5fbc36c0c5ccf43690d115550c27d.jpg

I got the new motor from the dealer for $155 - ouch. Phandad there is a motor on ebay that looks just like it by "makermotor" that was only $59 plus shipping. It wasn't exact so I didn't take a chance. Anyway with the new motor on, I was amazed at how quiet the new one is (or how noisy the old one was). Apparently my gearbox had been going for some time, I just didn't know the noise was a problem.

So.... I took it out just to try it and just my luck, the chute flapper cable broke as I was sitting in the garage. The cable inside just snapped. It was working fine with no binding. I may replace it with an inline actuator. The cable seems so vulnerable anyway. Overall, not too impressed with the newer blower (2005). Wish I could find the kit to attach my old 42" blower to the Prestige (NLA), I would use it and sell the 46".

Wow, that's a really cheap BIN price ($25) for the 1692040 hitch in Brian's eBay link.

s-l1600.jpg

According to the operator manual I have, that hitch is for an electric lift Landlord/1700/2700 series tractors.

Yes, the hitch is from when they still used the same snow throwers for the horizontal shaft Sovereign and the vertical shaft Landlord. The up-fit kit adds the arm to mount the rear to the rockshaft of the Conquest/Prestige. That in effect gives you the same two ears you get on a Sovereign front hitch, so you can mount up any older front attachment. When the Sovereign was retired they changed the width of the thrower and hitch eliminating that possibility.

I use window motors from old gm cars they never seem to fail the one on my aliis 720 is still working after all these years.Put one on my 3212 with no problems.

My fab skills are limited to wrench only. No welder or skills without a "kit". The Chute adjustment cable replacement is $85. Instead of that, I am going to order a motorized actuator and a switch for $50. Because the tab is already there for the cable, mounting the actuator should be relatively easy (ie no welding). I'll let you know how it goes when I get the stuff in.

I have a GM power window motor on mine and it hasn't stuck or overloaded yet. Interestingly, the Deere kit for my boss's 2003 deere was gm motor based too. Something to that...

My 42" dual stage (which I have yet to take possession of) has an electric spout adjustment. I have no idea if it's factory or something done by the previous owner, but I attached some pictures for reference.

20160103_204036000_iOS.jpg

20160103_204047000_iOS.jpg

20160103_204036000_iOS.jpg.d50a6175ab019fa8886b38333b16c61c.jpg

20160103_204047000_iOS.jpg.135c69fb2bc299d2afa20ef6ea5581e5.jpg