Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3200 series Briggs engine

nelra2000

Totally stumped with this one. 716 has tilled, plowed, blown snow for 4 yrs, no problems. 2 months ago, changed oil, mntd blower, cab, new fuel filter, battery, ran perfectly and put in shelter. 2 wks later, started it to blow snow and barely limped it to garage. Cough, misfire, black smoke. Since then, good compression, cleaned carb, then swapped carb off good running tractor, new points, plunger and bushing, checked flywheel timeing, steady spark jumps twice required gap, pulled intake and checked gaskets, pulled head today. Gasket good, valves working properly. This is a starter/generator unit. Wire from coil to points only wire connected. Jump starter and it runs fine for 30 seconds, full choke, partial, open, then quits and won't start again. My inclination is "intake" but it's got good compression and runs just fine for a short time only. Anyone got any ideas?

Change the spark plug? Check the magneto carefully for insulation worn and the spark is grounding out before the plug...You also might have a broken primary wire that the spark can jump until it heats up.

In process right now of draining fuel tank to check screen. My little 920 diesel had the screen smashed down which restricted flow.

Thanks Mike. I had wired in my blinking amber light. Had dash and battery out. Considered possible electrical malfunction. I've a spare engine but uses integral starter which will need rewireing of harness. I haven't given up on present engine since it ran so well til just now. I'll check things you've mentionded. Thanks for input from both you guys.

Screen in tank is missing. I suppose hole is partially blocked and once engine starts, it can't supply enough gas to keep running. My question has always been: What thecensored1.gifcould change just sitting in the shelter for 2 wks? This may well be the answer.

Screen in tank is missing. I suppose hole is partially blocked and once engine starts, it can't supply enough gas to keep running. My question has always been: What thecensored1.gifcould change just sitting in the shelter for 2 wks? This may well be the answer.

I'm thinking pretty strongly it was the unscreened fuel outlet on the tank. Swapped it out tonight for another. All back together except for the head. Hafta see if I can find a new gasket in morning. I usually keep a couple new ones on hand but am out right now.

Success. Yup, restricted fuel flow and also the new points plunger and brass bushing (Chinese made), was hanging up and I wasn't getting consistent contact. Different tank and electronic ignition module did the trick. Runs like new again. Thanks everyone for your replies with this tractor club. I've used this resource many many times in the past 10 yrs from my little Allis 920 diesel to several tractors and Briggs and Kohler engines and Montgomery Wards.

My Landlord had a similar, but not as bad, problem and the Briggs fuel filter made for gravity feed and non fuel pump engines took care of it. It is part no 298090, red in color, and 150 micron.

Gary

I've got 3 716's, one 7018H and the 920 diesel. This particular tractor had a fuel tank with no screen but a black tank ball on bottum where the fuel line ran out at 90 degrees. I'm guessing was filled with junk. Just grabbed another tank with the typical spigut and screen.

we overhauled a modal 32 for a guy and he used it for a few months one day he started it and was letting it warm up for a minet and it quit could not get it started. changed the plug and got it stared long enought to get it on a trailer, then we could only get it to idle we worked on everything , then had one of the guys i know from another mower shop that was working on them before the model 32 was even biult. he whent through everything and could not make it run. it would make a spark across a 5/8 gap would not run the engine problem turned out to be that the flywheel had changed ploarity just happened to find it with my little B%s polarity indicator will problely never see that happen agian