Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
daveb

720 help

daveb

I have replaced the seal 3 times and the needle bearing 2 times on the trunien shaft on the hydro unit. The last time was both pieces and a year ago. The seal is back out .Any help is appreciated. thanks

720nut

Dave, is your shaft bent? has to be something that is out of alignment or balance that is causing bearings to go bad and take out the seal. This is my thoughts others will have other ideas. John (midnightpumkin) is probably one of the best to ask about these tractors.

Rigger9020

Dave,

How tight of fit did the trunion shafts have to the swash plate?

A few thousands of movement might cause what you are experiencing under heavy load and shifting from forward and reverse. With these hydro's being 35 to 44 years years old they are showing there age. There was just another member that had the roll pins break on his trunion shaft to swash plate. I have had same issue and believed that the fit of trunion shaft was the cause. That is why I replaced the whole assembly on my unit ($$ounch$$). Would surprised if shafts where bent, those starts are hardened.

Good luck Mike

isetta

Ditto here on swash plate hole slop. That would allow the shaft to wobble in the bearing. Like Rigger says all that forward backward movement on the hydro control lever would cause wear with loose shaft to swash plate connection. I read a poste here from a member who welded and machined the hole in his swash plate to tighten up that connection

isetta

Sweet, How come those easy fix things never happen for me : )..... although it sounds like you put some real time in that thing if you replaced the seal 3 times. Where did you buy the seal?

isetta

They are a great group Sandy Lake, like to support them with business whenever I can. I do still like to know parts are available locally when I want to get something done right now : ). Thanks Phil for the trunion shaft seal part numbers at Napa! If anyone has other Napa sourced parts and part numbers for the main hydro pump I'd love to hear about them.