Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thinking out loud

RickS

Hi,

I was hoping to get everyone's thoughts on this. I have 7118 with Ags all around. For attachments I have a 46 plow, a 42 plow, a Dutch blade, A small frame grader blade, a Johnny Bucket, and a 42 single stage blower. The tractor also gas a rear lift.

My thought was to sell this package are replace it with a Legacy XL with a front end loader and three point hitch. Ideally the Legacy would be four wheel drive.

So what is this package worth, is this a good idea, or have I lost my mind?

Rick.......

7118 is a scarce and cool rig! You have some real neat stuff to go with it, that have some great capabilities.

What are you looking for from the XL that the 7118 isnt doing or doing efficiently? XLs with loaders have been becoming very reasonable. A deal pops up a few times/year too. I love mine and wont be looking back. I still like a Sovereign but I dont depend on one any longer.

IMO the Legacy is even more "tractor" than what you have. Do you need it?

Attachments are harder to come by and more expensive at the moment in my area. You can get some "deals" now on used Legacy tractors, but for the whole package you have, I would think it would take awhile to collect everything at a "good" price.

I have a sovereign which I thought was the same as a 7118. In any case it does have a command series two.

If I make this switch I will only need he front end loader and a rear blade. My other tractor will be used to clear snow.

Rick....

The XLs are much more commonly found with loaders than the early Legacy or Sunstars were...a big plus. Its certainly a different class if machine, and you will pay for the big leap in power, capability and user comfort. But IMO, they can be worth it, for a careful shopper. I have had mine for about 15 months and have found good deals on 9 attachments. It wasnt really that hard. I may look for a rear blade...but they are so common and inexpensive I hadnt really put effort into that yet.

My XL would lift around 500lbs, which I found so-so. TuffTorq claims 1300psi of pressure is safe for the average user so I turned mone up to 1250psi. It lifts around 750lbs now, which is a load larger that anyone should really be lifting with one of these...but it makes that previous max load of 500lbs a breeze without running WOT. Power steering ease also improved quite a bit.

AWESOME loader machines. Lighter footprint that true subcompacts, small enough for maneuvering in garages, around landscaping etc, and it still mows like a dream. Foot controls and the loader/3pt/implement lift joystick is very well thought out and cozy.