Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowthrower Belt/Chains

fitchnhunt

Morning all, looking for a little guidance/advice on replacing the v-belt on my 7119 for the 42" snowthrower. I believe the model number is 1690032. The Simplicity number I'm thinking is 2174224SM but they are not readily available locally. Any recommendations on a Napa, CARQUEST, or other aftermarket auto parts store belt....good bad or the same? It looks like the belt measurements are 1/2" x 66". I have a feeling I am going to be needing a new belt by tomorrow evening before the snow storm hits Tuesday. I don't think the belt that is on the tractor now is going to last 5 minutes after what I did to it last night (belt stop must have moved at some point). Swept up a big pile of shredded belt and called it a night.

On another note, question on tire chains. Have them on and it seems after blowing snow for 30-45 minutes the chains on one side are trying to "work themselves" off the wheel. Hard to explain but half the chains are coming over the wheel to the outside and the other half are to the inside to the point they are rubbing on the axle. The buggers are tighter than wang do to put on but maybe I'm missing something obvious? Have put them on about 6 times now, It's just the right side that it's happening on. They are Simplicity

chains. Thanks!

Hello, Did you look on the underside of the hood, there is belt info on a sticker there. On my 7117 I use a 1/2 x 148 inch belt that is driven off pulley by the BGB.

Thanks Ken in Mi

Personally I would mail order a simplicity belt, but that's just my preference.

As far as the tire chains, are you using tensioners to keep them snug?

Some sets of chains, for what ever reason I have had to use bungy cords on the inside, and car tire rubber band tensioners with hooks on the out side.

Another trick is to deflate the tire, mount chains as tight as you can, then re-inflate tire.

Maxwood, found the label and it calls for Simplicity part number 1666324. In searching for that online it shows it is 1/2" x 69". Now im confused.......when I ran snow thrower number (1690032) on Simplicity site it gave me belt number 2174224 which is 66" long. I'm thinking now the thrower really doesn't matter as much as what tractor it is going on, which will more or less determine belt length.

Greg, I will probably order a Simplicity belt but right now I need one today or tomorrow before we get hit with this storm on Tuesday. As far as the chains go, on the inside there is a link that is shaped like a hook. On the outside it is pretty much the same thing but someone added a carabiner to make it easier. No tensioners came with them. I have a few short rubber bungees though so I might fashion something up and try it out. The deflate/re-inflate trick sounds like a good idea too. Thanks!

And now to add a little more.......I found some old receipts from the previous owner. In comparing dates of receipts and the credits here's what he did: Purchased belt 174224. returned for credit 2 weeks later and bought 1666324. One week later returned 1666324 and purchased 1666798. No more receipts so Im guessing the 1666798 is the one I need?? Jeesh......all this over a stinkin belt!

The car tensioners I bought at the local "farm store" they look like a big round rubber band, with hooks on it.

chaintension.jpg

On the outside you just hook to the carrier chains spaced between the cross links. With some sets of chains that is all I have needed.

Sounds like there's some confusion about how the 7119 is driving the snow blower.

Most 7100 series tractor blowers are driven from the mid PTO with a single pulley hitch up front. That belt is the Simplicity #1666798 and it's 147.1" long as mentioned above. The "A144" belt is commonly used in place of OEM; it's 146" long, but the 7100 series "adjustable fixed pulley" at the mid PTO takes care of the 1" shortage. If you go the replacement route, make sure you get a Kevlar belt or equivalent, it'll last a lot longer than a "stock" belt.

The 7100 series tractors can also drive a snow blower from the front engine shaft with the addition of a front PTO, either electric or mechanical, and this setup uses a 2 pulley hitch. The belt length is typically in the 60's depending on how big the driver pulley is and if the snow blower still has the stock 7" driven pulley. When I ran a RBT snow blower with 7" stock driven pulley on the blower and an electric PTO I used the 174224 stock 66" belt. When I changed out the snow blower driven pulley to 6 1/2", I used a 63" belt.

I checked at my former place of employment, a industrial supply house, and there is not a kevlar belt available in the 140 ish inch long that we need. I would suggest buying a better quality belt than the NAPA belt. At least pick a brand name like Gates, Perilli, Thermoid or others.

Ken

I know on the FDTs, with the differential on the RH side, and if it's not locked down* The slippage of the RH tire seems to want to move the cross links around! I threw 2 cross links on my RH wheel Friday night!

* A real PITA to do with the wheel weights on!

I'll just throw in my 2¢. This question comes up often. While I am a proponent generally of using the OEM Simplicity belt for a given application, I find that an A144 belt from Napa works great here and at less than half the cost. $29.99 vs. $62 for a Simplicity belt. I have a Napa A144 belt (which is a Gates just branded as NAPA) on my Sovereign snowblower. It has given excellent service over several winters already and still looks new. I looked online and Oreilly has a Gates A144 for $28.99 but generally your local store (Napa or Oreilly) will have to order this belt for you. Don't just walk in expecting to walk out with one.

If you have a blower driven off the front PTO (I have a 7016 too that I used for several winters) then the Simplicity belt is the only way to go since that belt is routed around two 90 degree corners. When the blower is driven off the BGB, the belt basically runs in one plane and seems to last longer.

Thanks for the replies, found a local implement that has the OEM Simplicity belt in stock for $68.00 so running to pick that up after work here in a bit. Napa can order me in the A144 and have it within a day for $24.00. I might get that to have as a spare.

GregB, I looked all over town yesterday for a few of those tensioners and either they didn't carry them or were sold out. I suppose I'm a little late into the season to expect to find them readily available. Even Fleet Farm was sold out of them and not reordering them either. I'll try and find some online. Hopefully that will help with the chains walking off the tires.

PhanDad, yes confusion to say the least. Got it figured out now. The Simplicity number I need for my setup running the thrower off the BGB is the 1666798. It didn't help that the sticker under the hood gave a different number adding to the confusion. Now that I have a better understanding of the different setups and belt lengths it is starting to make sense. Thank you!

Stock Simplicity belt is on and all appears to be running good. Made darn sure the belt stops were tight in place. Ready for the snow tomorrow. Just need to locate some of those tire chain tensioners now. Thanks again for the help and advice

you can use bungee cords as tightners hook one side to chain run straight across run cord under chain and hook back to first side making a V with cord. if to long time a knot in cord til it fits. simple and cheap

I just smoked the belt on my 7119 with a 42" blower. I think I hurt it yesterday as once in awhile, well pretty often, I could smell hot belt blowing that WET & HEAVY snow.

Anyway, I called my local O'REilly's and they will have a new Gates belt for me on Friday AM. $29 and I have a $5 off coupon. Maybe I should get two of them??????

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find any automotive type tire chain tensioners so bought a few small rubber bungee cords. They seem to be doing the trick! Have about an hour runtime with them on and the chains are still in place. Belt appears to be holding up as well. Looks like it may be time to replace one of the skis on the side of the blower and a bit so scraper bar adjustment. Any suggestions? I have a feeling I'll be dealing with some rusty crusty hardware. Thx!

Just a note.

On the 7100/900 series tractors running a thrower from the mid PTO:

1.) Make sure the swinging idler pulley is in the correct tab.

2.) Adjust the belt tensioner so the swing arm is just to the left of the green zone, it should be slightly in the red. The belt will not have enough tension and will slip or slap if adjusted to the green zone (like you would for the mower). Also the swinging idler pulley and belt may rub on the adjustable idler.