Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OEM ??

MPH

Wow!!

I have seen some track conversions before, but they were always noted as aftermarket, possibly with OEM approval.

I can't imagine how that would steer in snow, tracks just grabbing and going straight, and front wheels just plowing. My 917 with chains can get that going when blowing.

But if it had, or you used independent rear wheel braking might work.

Around here the tractor alone could bring $1500 poor shape to $3000 excellent shape.

Might be a fun test drive in the snow ^^

The Allis B does have independent rear brakes, and many are hand operated, which would make steering a bit more interesting. The half track looks like an Arp made setup. They were made in northeast Wisconsin so it is very possible that Allis Chalmers hooked up with them and offered them as oem. There are alot of ford 8 and 9n tractors with similar half tracks. They were also made for the model T fords, many used by mail delivery people. On the cars, they would have a ski under each front wheel and strapped on to go with the tracks for snow use. Tractors with the half tracks are almost unstoppable in mud or snow within reason. I think I used to see the track setup for an Allis WD or a ford 8N going for 1500-2000 dollars a few years ago. The tractor itself is about 1500-2000 dollars, I would say, so the price seems a bit high to me. Notice no battery on tractor, alot of the B models are hand crank only, another consideration. I had a hand crank B, and it started really well when the Magneto, plugs, etc were all in good shape, and would kick and try to break your arm when they weren't. Nice little tractors tho.

Steve

We ran steel half tracks on some harvester tractors until FWA became more popular. They didn't, steer too bad as long as the front edge of the track was about two inches higher than rear . Granted this was with a much heavier tractor, so there was weight on front axle.

Steve; starter motor is there, just no battery box or battery.Has lights mounted on hood as well.Does have magneto ign. though..Dave

I've seen older setups similar here in northern Indiana used in the peppermint "muck" fields. Now the mint farmers have Cat Hi-tracks & the like... But in the snow would be harder to manage.

Very cool piece of history, Thanks sm01

Thanks for replies guys. Thought it was interesting looking but it wouldn't be the best think for hauling bees out into the wilderness.B)

And you have the space to play with it.

Imagine deep snow and pulling a group in a toboggan or sleigh to the tree house ^

Yep!

For a while I considered getting one of those ih skidders, they look like a crawler built on tires with that same type of track chain as that allis. I still may get one but I have to get the bull gear and roller rebuild done on my ih t340 first