Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fdt hi-lo

dav

been a long time since I have had to mess with the hi-lo on the landlord. i'm not sure if the hi-lo is stuck between ranges or the trannie is stuck between gears.

I have the set screws removed, 2 of them, but the unit doesn't slide off the shaft. is there a third set screw? and will the unit come off without removing the tire?

there was only one cup on the shifting yoke. i'm not certain if there ever was a second one; seems to me I discussed the cups in this forum a few years back. the unit never did go from hi to low easily and never with the motor running.

thanks for any help.

Dav,

I don't think you can get a hi-lo stuck between hi and lo, but if you did it would free wheel, not lock up. The two set screws are all that hold it to the shaft. If it won't move it may be rusted on, or the key might be holding it up. It is a woodruff (half-moon) key, and they can roll in the keyway so one end is pushed up at the pulley and this may make it hard to get it off, especially if the end of the key might get into the hole that the set screw is in. I would completely remove both set screws and look into the holes and see if there is an indication of a problem that way. If not, PB blaster the daylights out of it, let it soak some, then try tapping it on, then prying it off, back and forth and see what happens.

You really should have both of the plastic wear parts for it to shift right, with only one I would think it is binding it when you try to shift. My hi-lo always shifted ok, but it might take just a bit of rocking the tractor by shifting your weight forward and back while shifting.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I have both set screws out. it may be that with the wheel still on, i'm just not getting the right angle or leverage to get the unit off. Saturday coming I will pull the wheel and have at it (I get home in the dark and the landlord is beyond the reach of my extension cords for lighting)

frankly, I am hoping it IS the hi-lo because the alternative is a trannie problem, which could be much more difficult. I think I will go looking for zippo's vid re the bent screwdriver fix, just in case.

Hi lo's will lock up between gears. Usually when the drive pulley has slid a little. Before you take it off,put a couple screwdrivers between the unit and the pulley, and GENTLY pry to see if the pulley moves away from the housing.

A couple times a year I have to reset mine. The set screws loosen and when I try to shift the pulley will move a little with the unit. With the limited throw of the handle, the movement of the pulley will not allow the unit to completely shift.

borrowed picture.Even if you find it is the problem I described.It won't come off the shaft unless the 2 top bolts are removed from the transmission.If it has always shifted "stiff" I would recommend taking it off and apart, clean out the old grease and reassemble with new. The grease gets very sticky and thick if it is old.Also, it should not have a half moon key. that shaft should have a standard key about 1" or 1 1/2" long.

hi lo.jpg

57e062683f51a_hilo.jpg.e08384b742f6ae85335cecae88e29702.jpg

Dan,I might be giving incorrect information. I am thinking of the hi-lo unit that is an add-on to the small frame simplicities. Sorry if there is any confusion.Steve

mini-100_0357.JPG

mini-100_0357.JPG.88c8d76f4353bd889b08fb7bcd12c220.JPG

No confusion Steve.

I have zero experience with the small frame unit, so I will likely remember what you said in case I ever run across one.

I just related what I have experienced with the large frame hi lo