Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers T 66 Headaches

Horvik

Hey all;

This is a reposting from another section....

I took my hydro in 3 times now (Off a 3416 H ) and still have leaks on the blocks. Really disgusted at this point. So what are some of the things that can cause this? The pintle shaft was rebuilt and is fine, the rest is a leaking mess.

Hey;

As i said in my posting I had taken it in to the shop for it to be rebuilt.

They at the shop "said" they put in new gaskets, o rings, and rebushed the pintle shaft. Still have this leaking unit after taking it to them three times, in and out. .

I put some stop leak in it as it is evident to me hat no one knows how to fix it. If they can;t fix in in three tries, they can;'t fix it in 10 is the way I see it.

You say the pintle shaft is fine, does that mean there is no fluid leaking out at the shaft in front or back of the pump?

Take a look at the diagram on this page: http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=132886

The main areas for leaks are both sides of the pintle shaft as it leaks past the o-rings.

Between the pump section and the end section there is a thin gasket.

Where the upper pump assembly attaches to the lower assembly there is no gasket used but there o-rings. On one of my pumps there were two o-rings for the larger hole and on the pump from my Allis 416-H it had those two o-rings and a smaller one for the third hole.

It is that last section on my pump that is leaking now that I got the pintle shaft bushings in place. I suspect the o-rings are not thick enough to create a good seal when bolted together. They are also very prone to moving out of position while trying to put this back together and if yours shifted and bit and pinched they would not be sealing properly.

Clean the transmission well then run the tractor for a few minutes so you can determine where the fluid comes out of.

Hey niteowl;

Sounds like they screwed up on the reassembly of the block where it bolts up. The pintle shaft appears to be tight and dry , they machined it and installed bronze bushings.

What burns me up is I took it in to the shop three times now and the darn thing still leaks. So I put in some white shepard to do what the shop could not do.

Repair in a can may work for a bit but I would be replacing the o rings with ones that have a thicker cross section. If you have to, put a dab of glue on them to hold in place while putting cases back together....Dave

I have not been able to identify all of the o-ring sizes yet but you can pull the ones you have and take them into the store to find one just a bit larger.

The top pump bolts onto the bottom half with 4 bolts from below. When you remove those 4 bolts and lift the pump off there are three holes, two larger and one small. The oRings sit in a small recess around those holes and the pump sits down on top of them. You have to be careful not to bump the o-rings out of position setting the pump down carefully so you do not pinch the o-rings in the wrong position.

If fluid is leaking from the other side around the pulley it is most likely the seal by the output shaft bearing.

Chris 77;

It sure don't look like they worked on these before, No Sir...

Now I have to fix it, to finish their job which I had already paid for.

Thanks

HI Niteowl;

When you say a bit larger, do you mean in thickness of the O - rings? Also then meaning the diameter is same?

It appear to be leaking from the top lump as you mentioned.

The pintle shaft ends (2) and the pulley drive are tight and dry.

All the best

It's pretty much eyeball how the existing ones fit and see which dimension needs to be increased so it will seal well.

If the original o-rings were in it but not sealing well any longer I would expect the thickness of the o-ring had diminished from compression and a new one would be needed. Not likely that the outer diameter would need to be changed but if it seems too narrow to fit that area then they may have replaced it with one of too small a diameter.

I have one pump not mounted in a tractor, maybe I can get an idea from that one for size.

phantdad and niteowl...

Thanks for the very good information. That fluid power site i think is a good source for parts for the Vickers

Still steamed that after 3 times of taking it to the shop that they could not fix it right . They sure do not hesitate in handing you a fat bill!

Like that old adage, " If you want it done right, do it yourself"

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello;

I ran it today and got this much information. When you look at the rear of the tractor/hydro while running it is wet/leaking right over the lower end where it inputs to the rear end.It is coming from the top of th3e unit It would seem So does that help to narrow down how to fix it?

Thanks

The o-rings probably need replacing. It is difficult to put mount the pump on top without the o-rings falling out or moving out of position. If they slip to the side a little the o-ring will get pinched between the two assemblies and not provide a good seal.

The other possibility is the two surfaces are not smooth enough to allow a good seal. One side may have a ding or scratch causing it to not be flat and keeping the two surfaces from fitting snugly.

Most commonly it is the o-rings.

The part number is 1650066 but they come up no longer in stock. You will have to take the original to a hardware store to match it up with a new one.