Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter storm Kayla 2016

BLT

Well how did your machinery hold up? Here in the Milwaukee area, we ducked the bullet, that being snow showers and light rain. As I write,7:50PM CST, the winds are even receding. After all the ballyhoo about preparation for the storm, it turned many waste paper baskets being filled with charts and maps on how it was going to be. My immediate duty tomorrow will be salt the driveway. :o) I have a lot of gas to sell, he, he.

I'm in the Mason City, IA area. Don't know for sure how much we got but it was WET and HEAVY. I blew snowballs. Also many times pushed a 10 foot long hunk of snow ahead of the blower which would sometimes break loose and the whole thing would enter the blower at once almost killing the engine. I found using no more than 1/3 of the blower at a time and keeping the speed up worked best. I still had a lot of spill out the side that I had to go back and clean up. If you had any reblow it was double tough. I have about 1/4 to 1/3 of my yard that I reblow due to the size.

On the bright side, if you could keep the RPM up the heavy snow, once you got it moving, flew a long ways!

Ken

My atv got rained on and washed off all of the mud....SWEEEEET! !dOd Good thing I hauled out the 10hp Simplicity walk behind out of the shed and fueled it up!sm00

What's going on??? I just got out of my bunker. I was making sure I would survive the "BLIZZARD!!!" of 2016. Thankfully I am still alive. Whew...............

I mean really. We are becoming complete lightweights in Wisconsin. When I was a kid, schools didn't even think of closing unless it was REAL blizzard. And then only the next day after the blizzard, when you barely made it home after school as the buses got stuck and slid around. Cold? "Git yer behind down to that bus stop and git ta school!!" (and yes it is true, and I have many on this site who will back me up on this, regardless of what you have been taught in physics it really was uphill both ways to school, in the snow {at least 3' deep} every day. Even in July). Cold? Wind chill? What is wind chill? Is that when the flute section in Band is on break?

Now, if the Weatherman (meteorologist for those of us of the younger persuasion) even sneezes, they are closing everything within a 200 mile radius, two days in advance!!!

We are becoming soft!! What are we going to do when it really gets cold? When we really get snow? I don't know.......... maybe we can all move to the Bahamas.......... I can see it now: Nice sunny day.....Heat index warning!!!!!! Stay indoors!!!! }:):o)

never saw Kayla, Jonas was my comedy of errors.Jonas graciously dumped 19 inches on me over Saturday and Sunday, nearbytowns got 21 to 30 inches (within a 20 mile radius).Lost a front PTO pulley, some where during the week, perhaps when harvesting firewood. Made one pass at the 400 foot driveway, Took about 2 hours to get to the top, with frequent stops to clear a jammed chute. Took an hour break to warm up, walked up, drove the tractor down, and parked it for another day.Next day, my neighbor called to see if I wanted his help in clearing the drive, He borrowed a JD 2305HST FEL, and came over. so after about 6 hours running,I now have a 5 foot high snow fort bordering my drive and the turn around.Next up, in about 2 hours about 14 hours of heavy rain...and I have more stove lengths of wood to cut and split, for heat and hot water!Yet I'm ready for the next one!The day after the JD 2503 went home the circled area up the drive iswhere it got stuck, AGs, 4wd and all...

Image041.jpg

Then there is my '69 2110/12 Nearly ready to go again, with a vengeance, since there is a chance of snow again on Sunday...

Image042.jpg

" Can I go play Coach? Huh?"^Rained all night, then got really foggy, anything on the soil is soaked to saturation, and all the thaw from higher properties was coming down my way at an estimated speed of about 10 MPH!sm00

Image041.jpg.71152519edae5dbf1d7021bc979eb5a0.jpg

Image042.jpg.7c23b7079463b5e729053721f2e7d250.jpg

quote:Originally posted by BLT

My immediate duty tomorrow will be salt the driveway. :o) I have a lot of gas to sell, he, he.

id="quote">
id="quote">Tomorrow is today and I can kick that can down the alley also. Temp never got below 35deg. Next will be snow showers less then 1/2" and that'll probably melt. Who do ya know that needs salt? :D

Sounds like you northern Midwest guys got the "normal" mid Atlantic treatment from the weather people - predict the worst world ending winter storm event and then get little. And from what Ken wrote, a nice heavy wet snow that like to slide for a while then then slug the blower big time. It happens a lot here, especially on driveways that are coating so they're nice and slick.

However, occasionally the weather people are correct as they were a week and a half ago about our big storm. They talked it up for a week and it did happen.

NW Wisconsin we got about 7", medium heavy. Made the 19hp snort a little bit. Perfect density for "throwing a 40 footer".

List of equipment used:

7119HH with cab and thrower

710HH with blade

Toro S-200 mini thrower

Roof rake (for the paper shed)

Snow Shovel

Not used:

Kubota B2400 with loader.

Not don't be too jealous...maybe next time you will get a load of snow.

Here in western New York, famous for our Buffalo and Rochester lake effect storms...

62 degrees today.

I think I've plowed 3 times this year, for a total of less than a foot.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Weather man predicted 10" of snow and that's what we got. WET, HEAVY crap. It was 31 degrees while it snowed and we had 35 MPH winds. The snow hardly blew it was so wet. Could smell hot belt more than once yesterday and tonight I finished off the belt. It did good as I think this was the third season for the old belt.

Ken

55F sunny and windy here in southern Ontario. I have only cleared my driveway once this winter. BigTen will be wanting to retire from lack of work...Dave

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

What's going on??? I just got out of my bunker. I was making sure I would survive the "BLIZZARD!!!" of 2016. Thankfully I am still alive. Whew...............I mean really. We are becoming complete lightweights in Wisconsin. When I was a kid, schools didn't even think of closing unless it was REAL blizzard. And then only the next day after the blizzard, when you barely made it home after school as the buses got stuck and slid around. Cold? "Git yer behind down to that bus stop and git ta school!!" (and yes it is true, and I have many on this site who will back me up on this, regardless of what you have been taught in physics it really was uphill both ways to school, in the snow {at least 3' deep} every day. Even in July). Cold? Wind chill? What is wind chill? Is that when the flute section in Band is on break? Now, if the Weatherman (meteorologist for those of us of the younger persuasion) even sneezes, they are closing everything within a 200 mile radius, two days in advance!!!We are becoming soft!! What are we going to do when it really gets cold? When we really get snow? I don't know.......... maybe we can all move to the Bahamas.......... I can see it now: Nice sunny day.....Heat index warning!!!!!! Stay indoors!!!! }:):o)

id="quote">
id="quote">YbYes you are correct it's not just about lawyers either, that's only vote excuse. The news media uses every excuse they can to scare Americans for what ever their purpose is. Some say to get you to buy stuff others say to make us pusscats but they for sure use a form of mental terrorism though.

I don't watch either. Netflix is our only TV service and boy do I see a lot of little things they do in TV programs including flight 093 taken over by terrorist and crashed! Lol what a concidence! That was on Airwolf and boy are we off topic now! Lol Dam A.d.d !!!!

1/2in here today, talk about a turn around 52* yesterday 32* today and snow.

Like they say about Michigan, don't like weather stick around it'll change