Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old timers memory

rokon2813

Years ago in some discussion it was mentioned that 1 model of Simplicity (or Allis) was labeled as a 14 hp to compete with other brands, but actually came from the factory with a 16 hp.

Anyone remember that conversation, or what model the tractor was ???

The early years of the 7100 series used 16hp Briggs and labled it has a 7114. They were manual lift instead of hydraulic lift. Then they switched to 14hp Kohler's later in the 7100 series.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

The early years of the 7100 series used 16hp Briggs and labled it has a 7114. They were manual lift instead of hydraulic lift. Then they switched to 14hp Kohler's later in the 7100 series.

id="quote">
id="quote">Also in the late model 7000's 16 HP engines were used for 14 HP branded tractors.

The newer (late 70s on)14hp Briggs had a tab to limit the throttle opening, bend or break off the tab and you had a 16hp.

I have a 1971 3314V which is a 32ci. It does not have the tab??? Was that the largest engine in 1971?

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

The newer (late 70s on)14hp Briggs had a tab to limit the throttle opening, bend or break off the tab and you had a 16hp.I have a 1971 3314V which is a 32ci. It does not have the tab??? Was that the largest engine in 1971?

id="quote">
id="quote">I have a 3314 V I'm playing with, that's what got me thinking. Does yours have balance gears on both ends like a 12hp ??

I heard the Briggs 14hp is a 16hp if you use a "bigger Carb" or carb w/bigger jet?? since both engines have the same bore/stroke=CID...is that correct?

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

I heard the Briggs 14hp is a 16hp if you use a "bigger Carb" or carb w/bigger jet?? since both engines have the same bore/stroke=CID...is that correct?

id="quote">
id="quote">I did a parts look on the three HP respective models and all call for the same carb.Briggs could have cautious with ratings, bumping them up a bit as time wore on.

Bob, just out of curiosity, could you look up the cam shaft numbers?

Or give me 3 models so I can.

Just curious if maybe they had different cam shafts. Different durations would change the hp too.

Not that it matters to this discussion or model but apparently not long ago Briggs ran afoul of the US Government for labeling the same engine with different power ratings because it was more efficient than making multiple engines. Anyone else hear that story?

quote:Originally posted by isetta

Not that it matters to this discussion or model but apparently not that long ago Briggs ran afoul of the US Government for labeling the same engine with different power ratings because it was more efficient than making multiple engines. Anyone else hear that story?

id="quote">
id="quote">

1971.jpg

1980.jpg

I had a 14hp model 320421 that I sold to GrincheyOne it had balance gears on the PTO end as well and they were also in the 16hp parts manual. The 14hp, 15hp and 16hp all had different Briggs model numbers.320420 = 14hp325430 = 15hp326400 = 16hpThe cam was the same part number last time I checked but has been a while.

1971.jpg.ba4dfcfe548d7de18664234c7796d2dc.jpg

1980.jpg.4ba794633cbf997e42ea5f125c71c08e.jpg

quote:Originally posted by isetta

Not that it matters to this discussion or model but apparently not long ago Briggs ran afoul of the US Government for labeling the same engine with different power ratings because it was more efficient than making multiple engines. Anyone else hear that story?

id="quote">
id="quote">Briggs got caught in a lawsuit, not so much by the government, but a group of lawyers claiming that high horsepower walk behind mowers were sold at their advertised maximum HP (Decals) on the engines. In reality mowers with longer blades had to have engine speed cut back t meet the 19,000 FPM tip speed, there fore, not getting the what customer was led to believe. Briggs lost and it cost them millions. The lawyers I think licked their chops with tenderloin and the consumer got third grade hamburger after they remitted the prescribed paper work. After that almost all HP rated decals disappeared from engines, now only displaying displacement and torque.This happened within the last ten years.