Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax front clutch

phillobbezoo

Okay another question, this tractor I'm working on is either a 4041 or a system 9020 and the front clutch bearing was gone/shot. I figured no big deal have a parts motor in the barn with a good clutch swaped them around and fired it up and the front pulley is spinning with the motor. These clutches looked different then my other 9020 the other 2 tractors have what I think is referred to as a brake on the front..is that right? With the tractor running there's no slowing down the pulley when I engaged the clutch I can see it engage but the pulley always spins weather or not the clutch is engaged. Is this normal? Should I try and find a brake if that's right? Any one know what I'm talking about little insite would help thanks

Phil, I have a couple different configurations. One is just the bare round clutch assembly, the other one has a squarish metal frame around it. Both of them have mower deck or loader pump belts on them so unsure if they would spin when disengaged without a belt. I do know that with a belt on they do not spin when disengaged.

Both the 4040 and the 4041 that I have do not have the break on it but allis 720 does. I do like the break as when you shut it down it does not make noise

All the other ones we've had have had the brake I see what you mean the noise when you shut it down. I'm undecided what I'm going to do with this tractor keep it or sell, I guess if I decide to keep it I'll try and find a brake for it, anyone have one laying around?

Phil, not quite sure what noise you're referring to. My 720 had brake and only noise it made was when bearing was going bad. I replaced it and no longer makes noise?