Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3 speed clarification

ketch

Hello,

I am newly registered although I have lurked for a long time.

Hoping I can get some clarification on the Simplicity 3 speed transaxle. Is the 3 speed interchangeable between tractor models?

I am looking at purchasing a 6111 that is hard to shift into 2nd and reverse. I have found replacement transaxles on ebay from a b-212 and a B-10. Does anybody know if either of these will work?

Are there rebuild kits available for the Simplicity transaxles?

I would very much appreciate any info I can get on these transaxles!

Thanks,

Ketch

I guess what I found confusing is that on the Simplicity Model Identification Chart it lists Peerless, Vickers, Sunstrand, etc. transmissions for many of the models but on the 6100 and a few others it just says "Simplicity 3-Speed Transaxle". I do see a variation in fluid capacities listed but that is the only indication that there are differences.

If this thing has a Peerless that is common it wouldn't be big deal to rebuild or find a good used one but if Simplicity made these it may be harder to locate parts or a replacement.

Welcome Ketch! Keep looking over the club website and SimpleTractors

and you will soon be an expert, at least on your own type of tractor!

For now, your best bet is to:

1. get the manuals for your tractor and similar 4000 series (such as

4111) and 5000 series, helps you to determine interchangeable parts.

2. Put a want ad on this club website for what you want.

3. Use http://www.dailylister.com/ to look for parts and cheap

tractors on Craigslist.

With members all over the country, you may be able to convince

one of us to ship you stuff if you find it in another city.

Also get to know the repair shops that are in your area, as they

often have "junkyards" full of parts for you!

Good luck - Tom

Well.... I was hoping to find out that it is a peerless transmission, they made a million of them, they are easy to find, 17 people in the group have rebuilt them a thousand times.... I can always hope!

$150 for the mower that is otherwise in good shape is tempting but I am not sure that I want to hunt so hard for parts on something that isn't full-on a garden tractor.

I appreciate the help and if somebody does happen to know were some transmissions for 6111 happen to be please let me know!

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Here are some references...

Your 6111 model # is 1690448...

site to get Simplicity, and Briggs manuals is

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals

Link to parts mauual...

'>http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8.vL6rE5CBh5kbp796Dq.pdf

Link to owners manual is...

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/ifDzFO9buH7sF5DHi6lEP5NRQpe.pdf'>

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/ifDzFO9buH7sF5DHi6lEP5NRQpe.pdf

The 6111 is built along the same lines as my two 4212G's

Excellent small radius mower. kinda light in weight, but does accept a 42 inch snow/dozer blade, and with a ladder hitch # 1690556 it will mount a 36" snow thrower.

This might also be of some interest to you...

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/001/8/5/1852-simplicity-6111.html

WELCOME TO THE CLUB !!!

Wayne

If you haven't already purchased this tractor, $150 seems alittle high for an average tractor with a bad trans. I would keep looking for a better deal. If you're patient, you'll find something ready to work for that money. Just my $.02. Dave

I very much appreciate the assistance! I have decided to pass on that one but am still looking. Would love to run a tiller off of whatever I get.

I have a spare transmission I would "almost" give you. The problem is I'm sure you would not want to pay the shipping on that sucker from WI to KS. It is a Simplicity made transmission only available in the 6000 series (Maybe earlier broadmoors but no 4000 series). 6200 series used the same trans with a variable drive & the shift pattern was different if I remember correct. Easier to open up & rebuild than it is to remove & install from that Broadmoor chassis.

Isn't it possible that the clutch linkage might be a little out of adjustment? My 6011 was acting like that some years ago and the hickey-shaft needed re-jiggered about a sixteenth. (Sorry to throw out those highly technical terms).

This is the mower in question. https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/5407773761.html

It appears to be the same one in the manual you provided, Bob.

I hate not to get this tractor if these transmissions aren't too hard to find but my wife is gonna kill me if I wind up with another project mower in the shop while we are push mowing!

Last year I sold a Cub Cadet 1836, a John Deere 116, and an old Monty Ward Signature Series parts mower. (Should have never sold the JD)

I didn't mean to sell any of them but people kept wanting to buy them. The plan was to have a pair of nice mowers to make mowing at the farm faster without spending 3 grand and watching my kids wreck something shiny. So far I have succeeded in turning a 3 hour job it into a 10 hour job with current equipment. Now, I am back to finding a couple of older, quality mowers. Funny how that worked out...

If you are looking for an older quality mower, Simplicity is a great start. But if it were me, I would be looking at a 7100 series or perhaps 7000 series or AC equivalent. Parts will be easier to locate, and many attachments are available, more easily found, and more options exist for these. If you get a hydro, the Sundstrands are nearly bulletproof. The tractors themselves are the same, nearly bulletproof. Just change the engine every 30 years or so.8D The 7100 series (you might be able to tell they are my favorite) were made from the late 70's until 2000. Good luck either way, and welcome aboard.