Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1963....1964.... Not sure simplicity landlord

Rustyvr6

Hey everyone my names Jon and I'm knew to the forum and old simplicity tractors but I recently traded for a simplicity landlord from 1963 I believe. The motor was built in 1962 it's a Briggs and Stratton and currently needs a gasket kit, and coil.

I've been struggling to find the right components and really want to get this tractor going I'll upload some photos later on this weekend.

The numbers off the motors cover are

Model: 243431 Type: 0196-02 Code: 7104141 and then there's a C153281 number as well.

I read that photos for non paying members can be linked through photobucket and will be working on that later

Looking forward to learning and meeting all the members here.

If you happen to know the parts number on the coil that would be a big help. It has points and the coil itself is yellow plastic I found a guy on YouTube Zippo that was explaining them and he showed the same one I had.

Welcome!! You came to the right place. I prefer Photobucket myself.

Pictures would help tremendously.

The engine you have is a 1971 10hp. It may very well be a 1963 tractor with a newer engine. Someone may pop in with your part #, but if not, i can access it when I get to a computer.

Ya it's an old barn tractor from a buddy he said his grandfather used it all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if it had been replaced, it'll defiantly make hunting parts down easier knowing the correct facts, a buddy recommended this site because you all are so helpful looking forward to learning more

Stens 460-006 Ignition Coil

Stens 450-148 Breaker Points

Stens 455-022 Condenser

Stens is what I personally use. You could order them online or at a Stens dealer.

You can still get most of the briggs parts for these old engines...Jacks small engine, parts tree, amazon, etc. I try to stay with OEM parts as much as possible, just due to the fact it no good having a parts failure when you need it most. I like to go to jacks, and they have an online parts look-up, based on the model and type of your engine. They also have the briggs part numbers listed. Once you get that, cross it to other sites. Jack's prices are hard to beat, but if you have amazon prime a lot of times you can save yourself the ridiculous shipping charges at Jack's. Their min shipping is like 7.50 or some crap.

Here is a direct link to the parts diagrams for your engine

Link

Good Luck getting her restored. I have two projects right now...but my next one is going to be an old round hood landlord. It will probably just end up being a show buggy, as my working needs are covered by my other tractors.

Sure looks like my 64 Landlord which is the first year of production for the LL.

It would have had a Briggs Model 23D,9 HP, originally but the 24 series is a good upgrade.

Gary

Thanks for the parts diagram, wish they had a Bentley manual for the landlord like they do for my Vw lol.

Time to fill the cart with parts and get working on it, thanks for all the info.

Most definitely a 64. The black dash and black upper grill section give it away. It was the first year Landlord and in 65 they went to white dash and upper grill, switched to a 10hp engine and called it a 101.I am in the middle of cleaning up a 64 myself. Had no compression so I pulled off the tin and head to find a stuck exhaust valve and the worst imaginable mouse mess under all the tin.It took a lot of elbow grease but she cleaned up nicely.Still not running right, I need to re-bush the throttle, seems to be sucking air through there.You can see all the rust on the engine and in the second picture the mouse nest pushing out from behind the engine shroud by the head. The shroud and every nook and cranny around the engine was packed tight with this stuff. The old mouse crap and urine was so thick the bottom of the shroud rusted through while the rest of it is in excellent shape.I just finished cleaning up and painting the nose. Should be dry enough to put back together tomorrow.

20160112_190730.jpg

20160112_190708.jpg

20160202_164940.jpg

20160112_190730.jpg.64897f0712aea3bba3e02bce9f124847.jpg

20160112_190708.jpg.3ef0d749f744831f73fa04d917b30609.jpg

20160202_164940.jpg.36f76180705620216d75e066ec00f59e.jpg

I think it's a matter of how it saturates their feces and makes a thick corrosive paste that lasts for years before drying out.

I pulled the housing off a 10hp engine from a 2110 to use for now. I am going to attempt putting new metal in place to repair it so it remains the original engine and tin.