Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Triad Block for REPAIR(?) on eBay

Bill725

Triad block for "REPAIR" on eBay, $80. You can tell what happened by looking at the pictures. The old valve cover leaking oil syndrome. Cylinder got hot & dropped and piston ring got caught on bottom of cylinder liner and broke. How do you REPAIR this? REPAIR with Command.

Need to tell the guy block is junk!

Bill,

I've never tore down an engine, so when I read posts about failed engines I try to learn.

You stated the "piston ring got caught on bottom of cylinder liner".

I would think the a ring might have got caught on the top of the liner, not the bottom, since the sleeve is now lower. Probably breaking the rod?

Am I thinking incorrectly?

PS - since he's also selling the chrome engine tin, the engine probably came out of a 75th Anniversary Tractor.

On some blocks I have seen a flange head bolt in the boss at the 10 o'clock to keep the liner from dropping. I wonder if that bolt is present on this block?

TriadLinerRetainer.jpg

TriadLinerRetainer.jpg.33d2d6b8c02b5bdb658b7c529c0712ef.jpg

Block for Repair (rotated 180 deg):

TriadBlock1a.jpg

Carl, you block casting is different. The bolt is in a machined area when the cratered block has the raised boss (8 o'clock). In your block, the raised boss is at 11 o'clock. Maybe updated/modified casting to save the engine?And tell us more about your block. Rebuilding a Triad?

TriadBlock1a.jpg.d075b53daf86f2d39381f3e04454d0ea.jpg

Bill,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I just saw your reply.

This is not my block. I got the picture from eBay. I do have 2 complete Triads (and enough other stuff I think, I may not have a correct drive shaft) to install one into an appropriate 7100 roller. It will be my Roy Pope / Al Eden Memorial Tractor. Unfortunately it is on the list that requires a 'Round Tuit' sm06