Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler command CH18gs new. warranty???

hurleyii

So I found old stock of these engines but no warranty is there any problems that would make that a concern? Price is good if it's complete.

The CH20S I installed in my 2nd 75th was from about 2006 based on the CA pollution sticker. I haven't had any issues; it fired up the first time without a problem.

I bought NOS 2 years ago. It was (is?) under warranty since I bought it from a Kohler dealer.

Well I got a reply from him finally and appears as though they have a tapered output shaft.

I've never herd of that but it ki do limits us. I'll keep you guys posted but I'm leaning to my junk yard or a Predator

I had a tapered shaft 20hp in my sovy. Never ran anything off the front pto so no biggie. 18 and 20 hp are done with the carb. Depending on the price, I would jump at it if your going to keep the tractor! These are GREAT motors!

quote:Originally posted by Mike_H

I'd be interested...If its a good price, I can make my snowblowers run off Mid PTO

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes I need to get that mid pto hitch assembly

I'm guessing this is the engine:

s-l1600.jpg

Ad says 17 units available so that should be more than enough to go around:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-Command-V-twin-18HP-ENGINE-Horizontal-Shaft-CH18GS-/231798681937?hash=item35f8473151:g:tOkAAOSwxN5WabZLTo make it a "Sovereign" Spec engine, you'd have to spend up to $200 or so in parts unless you find some of them used as I did. For instance here's the engine/driveshaft coupling with rubber donut bonus currently on eBay:

KohlerCommandAdapterwithDonuta.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOHLER-COMMAND-CH18-CH20-CH22-VTWIN-engine-flywheel-coupler-/262136050184?hash=item3d0886b208:g:9-UAAOSwwbdWQSnPFor newbies, here's the link to the conversion I did as part of a Triad replacement:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=141658But then there's always the Predator repower that still might be cheaper, but IMO, not as easy.

KohlerCommandAdapterwithDonuta.jpg.95b54b8960bebf0dee4f97a5d5e81290.jpg

You will spend more than $200 to get that Predator in there. It might be a Honda clone but it isn`t a Honda. I had to buy a flywheel adaptor at $80 and then extend it as well. Had to make the muffler because the Japs do not have a muffler that exits the exhaust out the bottom and the driveshaft has to be shortened. No big deal to me because I have the equipment to do so, but if you don`t it can get expensive. Harbor Freight doesn`t even stock an oil filter or an air filter for these. Where does one go if you need a gasket or something else simple. A $800 Command new is cheap. Does the guy have any left besides the one you are buying. I love the Commands and Hondas. $1400 to $1600 dollar motor for $800 is a bargin.

I actually have been trying to decide which I was buying still RayS. Yes he has 17 last I checked. I was considering just going to my local junk yard and grabbing one used. Not sure what the best Command I should get though. What's the biggest I can get to fit in a RBT?

quote:I had a tapered shaft 20hp in my sovy. Never ran anything off the front pto so no biggie. 18 and 20 hp are done with the carb. Depending on the price, I would jump at it if your going to keep the tractor! These are GREAT motors!id="quote">
id="quote">

I'm with Mike. I put a new Command into a 7100 chassis that had no PTO output shaft. If you want 22 HP all you have to change is the cam also.^