Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 Series I vs Series II

Mike_H

I found a KT17 today, in a JD 317. Its a series I engine, which I know have oiling issues. Is it possible to update it to series II specs? I think I can get it pretty cheap, as the guy that has it said "Its not really worth anything."

I wouldn't think so since there must be more oil paths in the newer Series II engine.

I'm sure one of our resident flat twin experts will confirm.

I found a couple on Craigslist in the Tri state area. I think it was in Michigan's though.

Sorry I wasn't interested so I kept going

Those 317's are dreaded by many. There aren't too many of them still running on the old series I engines. The cranks are different as are most of the other parts.

The oil pressure is higher on a Series II and additional oil paths. I have a couple of series I engines that are still running great.

They can have breather problems which leads to oil consumption and

these flat twins hold less than 1-1/2 qts of oil, check often and keep full, and change oil every 25 hours or less and once per year even if you don't have the hours.

Especially if low on oil, they are more vulnerable on side hill mowing.

Keep the fins clean to keep the engine cool. Because of the enclosed shrouding on the JDs they had more problems than Simplicity with the open engine.

Just some TLC and they can last a long time.